Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

EDITED 7/16/21

Mary sat alone at the table, a plate of half-finished food before her. She had just finished her short training session with the Narnians outside, though it wasn't very productive because she wasn't allowed to put too much pressure on her ankle. Edmund stayed outside to train longer while she retreated back into the How. Susan and Lucy had joined her for a while, but it mostly consisted of Lucy teasing Susan about Caspian because according to the younger girl, she could see "sparks" between them. Mary understood how embarrassed Susan must have felt as Lucy interrogated her just like she did to Mary back in the woods regarding Edmund. Eventually, Susan excused herself to practice her archery while Lucy ran off to follow her, leaving Mary on her own.

As she ate her food alone, she was actually glad to have time to herself and her thoughts. She didn't have much time to process all the events that had happened from the moment the train station disappeared back home to her arrival in Narnia and finally, up to that very moment as she watched the Narnians passing by, talking about battles and strategies. It was quite overwhelming to realize that she was in another world where she had been in numerous sword fights, met talking animals and mythical creatures, and even helped in invading a castle. Only a week ago, she was just on her way to school with the Pevensie's. Everything felt so unreal. She knew the situation of Narnia at the present wasn't the best, but she could tell that if — when they regained their freedom, it would be back to its beautiful state that the Narnians and Pevensie's raved so much about. She didn't know when she would have to go back to the real world, but she hoped she would be able to spend a good amount of time in Narnia before returning.

"Mary."

Only one person she knew had that accent. Knowing who it already was, she looked up to acknowledge him.

"Hi, Caspian," she greeted kindly.

"Done with training?" he asked, eyeing the sword on the table that she forgot to return in its sheath.

"Sort of. Wasn't able to do much, honestly."

"How's your injury?" he inquired, taking a seat across her.

"Not that bad. Still not allowed to move around much, though."

There was a pause and Mary looked at him curiously. She was quite an observant person and knew that he wasn't there for small talk. He was twiddling with his fingers and his eyes were flitting back and forth at nothing in particular, giving away that he wanted to say something.

"So..." he began again after an awkward silence.

"Yes?"

"Never mind."

Mary leaned back in her seat. "Spit it out, Caspian," she said, much to his surprise. "I'm not daft. What is it you want to say?"

He smiled sheepishly. "How could you tell?"

Mary grinned triumphantly. "I just can. So, what is it?"

"Well, I just wanted to ask... what do you think Queen Susan thinks of me?" he said in a small voice.

Mary moved closer when she couldn't hear him.

"Sorry, what was that?"

"I said, what do you think Susan thinks of me?"

Mary couldn't help but giggle.

"What's so funny?" Caspian asked, slightly panicked.

"Nothing, nothing," Mary reassured quickly. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting that particular question but at the same time, I'm not that surprised."