Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

POSTED 7/2/19

After Mary had woken up, the Pevensies wouldn't stop fussing over her. They continued to ask how she was feeling, how and why she got hurt, and more about what went on between her and Edmund. Caspian was watching their interaction fondly, stopping when he took note of the majestic lion standing a few feet away from them.

"If I may intrude," Caspian suddenly said, causing all eyes to follow him. Instead of finishing his sentence, he gestured to the side where Aslan was waiting. Immediately, the Pevensie's knelt before him and Caspian and Mary quickly followed.

Mary felt blessed to be in Aslan's presence. The lion just such a strong aura. The others weren't lying when they said he held a certain air of power.

"Rise, kings and queens of Narnia," he said in a booming voice. Mary watched from her peripherals as the Pevensies rose to their feet. "All of you."

Mary shared a look with Caspian before slowly getting to her feet as well.

"I do not think I am ready," Caspian said.

"It is for that very reason I know you are."

"With all due respect," Mary said slowly. "I don't think I can accept that title either. I... I don't think I was able to fulfill what the prophecy said I would. I can't —"

"Silence," said Aslan, though he said it in a gentle voice. "A prophecy does not determine who you are. It is the choices you make that do."

Mary kept her mouth shut, reeling at his words. She had obsessed so much over the prophecy and tried so hard to prove to herself and everyone that she was worthy, and now she felt pathetic for dwelling on it so much. She realized she shouldn't have dwelt on those words so much and should have instead allowed it to simply motivate her.

"You have done a lot, young one, more than you would like to take credit for," Aslan went on. "You risked your life for people you have never met and a land you had never known of until recently. You have only just started what you are meant to do."

Mary could only continue to watch him wordlessly, eyebrows furrowed in slight confusion. What else was she destined to do now that the battle was over?

"So, this is the Mary you spoke so much of?" Aslan then asked Lucy. The little girl nodded with a smile and Mary turned red at the mention of being spoken so highly of by Lucy, flattered at what she thought of her.

"Yes," Lucy grinned.

"I was told you were going to 'kick my butt' if I didn't get here soon."

Mary flushed in embarrassment, completely forgetting that she had told Lucy that and quite shocked that the youngest Pevensie actually passed that message to him — she didn't think she actually would because, after all, she was kidding.

"You said what?" Edmund snorted.

"I didn't mean it," Mary defended, not wanting to offend Aslan. The others were watching her with amused smiles, but she thought they would have been shocked at her choice of words for Aslan. "I was only joking."

Surprisingly, Aslan merely laughed lightly and shook his head.

"I know," he said with a fond smile. "I'm happy to know I made it just in time, though."

Before Aslan could say another word, a soft and sad music played from behind them. Mary, Caspian, and the Pevensies turned around in confusion, separating to make way as they spotted the group of mice carrying an unconscious Reepicheep on a little stretcher. Mary's eyes widened and she desperately hoped he wasn't dead. She was just fighting with the noble mouse minutes before and it was frightening to see what had happened to the both them after they lost one another in the middle of the battle. Thankfully, Lucy came to his rescue just as she did for Mary, crouching down next to the mouse and giving him a drop from her cordial. He sucked in a deep breath and sat up to face Lucy.

"Oh. Thank you, Your Majesty. Thank you," he said gratefully. He stopped short when he noticed Aslan and stood up almost instantly.

"Oh, hail Aslan!" he exclaimed. "It is a great honor to be —" He attempted to bow but stumbled forward. He looked behind him and realized that his tail was missing, letting out a shocked gasp.

"I am completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion," he apologized before facing Lucy once more. "Uh, perhaps a drop more?"

"I don't think it does that," Lucy said apologetically.

"You could have a go."

"It becomes you well, small one," said Aslan with a chuckle.

"All the same, great king. I regret that I must withdraw for a tail is the honor and glory of a mouse."

Reepicheep unsheathed his sword and held it with his two hands, presenting it before Aslan.

"Perhaps you think too much of your honor, my friend."

"Well, it's not just the honor. It's also great for balance and climbing and grabbing things," Reepicheep enumerated.

Aslan smiled and the other mice drew their swords to their tails.

"May it please Your High Majesty," a mouse named Preepiceek started. "We will not bear the shame of wearing an honor denied to our chief."

Aslan chucked once more and said, "Not for the sake of your dignity, but for the love of your people."

Mary watched in awe from behind as Reepicheep's previously severed tail slowly grew back without warning.

"Oh, look!" Reepicheep said excitedly. "Thank you, thank you, my liege! I will treasure it always. From this day forward, it will serve as a great reminder of my huge humility."

Mary grinned and knelt down next to a Reepicheep, patting his head. While the mouse usually did not like it when humans treated him as a pet or pest like the Telmarines would, he appreciated Mary's actions.

"Glad to see you're alive and well, Reep," she said kindly.

The mouse smiled back and tipped his feather at her.

"And I, you, Lady Mary."

When she stood back up, Aslan asked Lucy, "Now, where is this dear little friend you've told me so much about?"

Mary remembered that Trumpkin had been the first one to help her and immediately searched for the dwarf. Fortunately, he was fine as well, being one of the Narnians at the edge of the water confiscating the Telmarines' weapons and armor as they crossed the river.

When all eyes focused on Trumpkin, he could practically feel their gazes on him. He slowly turned and met Aslan's eyes before nervously looking down, eventually making his way forward. He pierced his sword on the rocky shore and got down on one knee as a sign of respect. Then, Aslan let out a loud and mighty roar, startling the dwarf.

Mary, Caspian, and the Pevensies watched in entertainment at Trumpkin's reaction. It was rare to see rye dwarf look so shy and almost afraid when he was usually such a tough and stoic person.

Lucy smiled playfully and asked him, "Do you see him now?"

A/N: Sorry for the short and uneventful chapter, but we're almost at the end of the movie Ahhh I'm getting emotional! Anyway, the next few chapters aren't part of the movie at all, but don't worry, the last few ones will get back to it. Basically, it won't strictly follow the timeline in the last few minutes of the movie but it doesn't change anything big. Maybe I just wanted to make room for more cute Marmund/Edry moments hihi