Chapter 2: Enigma ✔️

CHAPTER 2

EDITED 1/20/22

"Catapults."

"What?"

Edmund examined the broken debris of cement on the ground. It looked like it was a pillar before it was shattered into pieces by what he claimed were catapults. An odd feeling settled inside of him as this registered in his mind — something wasn't right.

"This didn't just happen."

"So you think this place, your home — Cair Paravel— was intentionally attacked?" Mary asked with a frown.

"Exactly."

Mary hummed thoughtfully. "It's possible. I don't know how long you've been gone from Narnia, but castles don't just disintegrate that fast."

"A year in our world could be hundreds here," Susan explained. "But, you're right. Cair Paravel must have been attacked."

Peter and Edmund set to leading the way as they explored their former home. For the first few minutes of their search, all they could find were just more broken pieces of their castle as well as plants growing out from wherever they could. Eventually, they spotted a wall-like door hidden behind a tangle of branches and vines. The two boys made their way to it, removing the dust and cobwebs that formed on the surface and hid it from sight. They slid open the door and revealed a second one, this time made of stone rather than wood. They swung open that one as well, and before any of them could take a step inside, Peter ripped a piece of his white polo from his school uniform and wrapped it around a stick he picked up from the ground.

While the others watched him curiously, he asked, "Don't suppose you have any matches, do you?"

"No," said Edmund, searching through his satchel. "But would this help?" He fished out his brand new electric torch and showed it to Peter. The older boy sighed, a mixture of frustration and amusement clear as day on his face.

"You might have mentioned that a bit sooner!"

Edmund chuckled and switched on the torch, stepping through the doorway first. Peter motioned for the girls to go next, and then he entered last.

It was dark and eerie inside, causing a shiver to go up Mary's spine

It was dark and eerie inside, causing a shiver to go up Mary's spine. They descended a spiral staircase that led to a metal gate that, fortunately for them, was left unlocked. It brought them to a circular underground room. The Pevensies seemed to be familiar with it and spread out, approaching one chest each with Lucy being the first to excitedly rush to hers. It was then that Mary noticed that there were four chests located at the base of each pillar still left intact, which she assumed was one for each sibling.