Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

POSTED 10/05/19

"Would you like the sky blue one, Lady Mary?"

"Or perhaps the red? It compliments your hair."

"We have the royal purple gown as well."

Mary grew flustered at all the attention. Caspian had set her and the Pevensies appointments with the finest dressmakers for their coronation day. Naturally, Caspian, Peter, and Edmund were in one room while Mary, Susan, and Lucy were in another just across the hall.

The Pevensies had it easier; they were already Kings and Queens of Narnia and did not need clothing as extravagant for the event. Meanwhile, this was Mary's coronation and she was being asked to pick among the most expensive looking dresses she had ever seen in her entire life. The fanciest dress she had probably ever worn was for one of her aunt's wedding, and it couldn't even come remotely close to the gowns she was now staring at. She then vaguely remembered her Saint Finbar's uniform from when she first arrived in Narnia and wondered where it went.

"Uhhh..." She looked to the two Pevensie girls for help. "What do you think?"

"Honestly, I liked the white one from earlier," Susan said.

"Really? The emerald one was pretty too, though," Lucy said thoughtfully.

Mary sighed for they had only added to her indecisiveness.

"Not helping," she groaned, causing Lucy to giggle.

"Sorry."

"While Mary goes through this dilemma, I need to go to the bathroom," Susan announced, standing up. "I'll be back in a while and hopefully, we'll help you choose a final dress."

Susan excused herself from the room, leaving Mary to go through her dilemma with Lucy.  She walked down the hall, her steps slowing down when she saw her brothers came out from another room down the hall.

"Oh, Susan," they greeted.

"Done with fitting already?" she asked them.

"Of course. We already look good in everything," Edmund said as he and Peter grinned proudly. Susan rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"The only time you two will look good is when I'm blind."

Edmund and Peter chuckled at her comeback.

"I suppose you're done, too?" Peter then asked.

"Lucy and I are. Mary's having a bit of trouble choosing her dress," she clarified when an idea popped into her mind. "Actually, why don't you go over there right now? She might need a second — well, third — opinion. I think we've been making things worse because Lucy and I have different tastes."

"I would, but Caspian just asked if I could help him by meeting up with the coronation organizers in his place," Peter said apologetically. "I'll see you all at dinner."

Peter left for the meeting while Susan went on her way as well, leaving Edmund alone. He decided to do as his sister said and headed for the room the girls were in.

Back inside the room, Lucy had just suggested that Mary try on the dresses all over again. Though Mary enjoyed dressing up every now and then and the gowns were undoubtedly gorgeous, it was becoming a tedious task. However, she complied anyway, knowing this could help her in finally deciding which one to wear on her coronation day.

She had just removed the upper part of her dress and was about to pull it all the way down when the door swung open.

"Hey, Mary, I — bloody hell."