Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

POSTED 7/12/19

With the battle between the Telmarines and Narnians having just ended not too long ago, Mary had never really thought much about Telmar's history. But now, as Caspian led the Narnians to his kingdom for refuge and a celebration of their reconciliation, he gave them a brief history of his home country (mostly Mary since the Pevensies already knew more or less about it).

Telmar was actually located to the far west of the Kingdom of Narnia and most of its inhabitants were turned into unintelligent beasts because of their undesirable behavior. Later on, pirates from earth's South Sea arrived in Telmar and integrated with those who did not change into beasts, thus continuing the race of intelligent human beings. And so began the kingdom form of government. Years later, these Telmarines invaded Narnia and attempted to bring about their extinction because they were seen as beasts similar to what their people had turned into.

Now, with Caspian ready to take his rightful place at the throne, he was willing to move on from the two nations' bad blood with one another. He was serious about giving the Narnians back their kingdom and sought to make the Telmarines a more peaceful nation as well. Aslan also informed them that he was willing to give the Telmarines a second chance by sending them elsewhere if they wanted to; he didn't specify where, but if it benefited both them and those who stayed, then it would be for the best.

When they arrived at the Telmarine castle, Caspian gave the Pevensies and Mary each their own bedroom in the main tower and allowed a select group of Narnians to stay in spare guest rooms and quarters. Mary knew that the castle was huge, but she didn't realize exactly how massive it was until everyone had been accommodated comfortably, leaving none behind. With Caspian already beginning to restore the peace, Mary vowed that she too would help in rebuilding Narnia's kingdom once things were settled.

A physician was instructed to examine them all before they could do anything else. Most of them only had scratches and bruises, but Peter's arm was still sore from its dislocation during his single combat with Miraz and Mary had sustained the worst injuries, to word it simply. She had the stab wound and long scratch across her stomach as well as the bruises and scratches to her face and arms. It seemed that Lucy's cordial generally healed whoever drank a drop of it, but it didn't magically remove injuries like Mary actually thought. She cringed when she sat in front of the mirror as the physician checked her over, seeing how bad she looked. When the physician instructed her to removed her shirt and armor, she saw the large stab wound that still looked fresh, the skin barely touching to close it. It would still take time for it to heal normally, but she was beyond grateful for just being alive.

She gently got off the examining table when she had finished, wincing slightly at the movement. The physician had prescribed her herbs and other treatments for her that she could request from the staff every meal. After thanking him, she exited the room, wanting to go to her own temporary bedroom to take a nice shower and change into comfortable clothes.

Mary was surprised to find Edmund waiting outside even if he had already finished with his own medical examination.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Admiring the door." Mary glared at him and scoffed before he continued. "I was waiting for you, of course."

Mary fought the blush on her cheeks and nodded.

"Oh, thanks. You didn't have to do that."

"Would you rather I leave, then?"

"I didn't say that." Edmund smiled gently and fell into step beside her, purposely walking at a slow pace for her sake.