Chapter 4: Stirring the Pot ✔️

CHAPTER 4

EDITED 1/20/22

The gentle breeze rustling through the trees and the birds chirping were what caused Mary to stir. She slowly awakened, but she kept her eyes closed. She felt like she was still half-asleep, especially since her surroundings were strangely peaceful as compared to back in the city of London. She was about to stretch like she always did whenever she woke up, but she stopped when she felt something — no, someone — next to her. Her eyes flew open and she found Edmund still fast asleep beside her, and she recalled that they had fallen asleep next to each other the night before. However, what was different was that she was now curled up next to him with his arm lazily around her, causing her to grow flustered.

Not wanting to wake him up, she got up as slowly as possible, her heart racing madly in her chest. In her attempt not to wake him, she didn't notice Susan and Peter huddled in the corner, pointing at Mary and Edmund and how they were practically cuddled next to each other that morning. It was only when Mary sat up that they hurriedly looked away and resorted to gossiping instead, but they stopped when Trumpkin snapped his fingers in front of their faces to finish discussing their plans for the day.

"Stop moving."

Mary's eyebrows rose up and she looked around her, her still-disoriented mind thinking that someone else was speaking to her. But Susan was already engrossed in a conversation with Peter and Trumpkin at the edge of the clearing about their schedule for the day, while Lucy was only waking up now as well, even yawning in the process.

"Five more minutes," Edmund continued to mumble, turning the other way. Mary chuckled at his sleepiness and got up, dusting herself off.

"That's why he's always late for school," Lucy said sleepily, walking towards Mary. "Good morning, Mary."

"Morning, Lucy."

"Did you have a good sleep?"

"Yes, actually. I was a bit cold at first, but it turned out fine."

Lucy eyed her older brother still sleeping on the ground and glanced back at Mary, noting that they were pretty close to one another when they were sleeping. She hid a knowing smile as Mary stretched her arms up and yawned, too.

"That's good." Then, she walked over to her brother and lightly kicked his leg. "Wake up, Edmund."

Edmund groaned and rolled onto his back, his eyes fluttering open.

"Shove off, Lucy."

The younger girl giggled, probably used to her brother's grumpiness in the morning. Mary sat on a nearby rock and braided her hair that had gotten badly tangled over the night. Edmund eventually got up and stretched his limbs, probably a bit uncomfortable from sleeping on the ground.

"Good morning," he greeted. Mary laughed because his words didn't match his face — he still looked grumpy.

"Doesn't seem like a really good morning for you, though."

He managed to crack a small smile and paused, watching Mary as she tied the ends of her hair before catching himself and rubbing his eyes.

"No, it still is."

Mary narrowed her eyes at that odd reply but chose to ignore it, thinking that he was probably still sleepy.

Mary, Edmund, and Lucy finished freshening up and got their things ready before making their way to the older ones of the group.

"What's the plan, Pete?" Edmund asked.

"Trumpkin got word of where the Telmarines are camped at," he replied. "We head there and observe. If there are only a few, we can take them down and question them, perhaps even hold them hostage. We need as much information as we can get to find out what their next step is."