Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

POSTED 6/12/19

The moment that everyone had been preparing for had finally arrived: the battle between Narnia and Telmar.

"Be ready!" Peter commanded in a loud voice, turning around to point at the Narnians.

"Peter!" Caspian warned just as he was about to enter Aslan's How. Peter, Edmund, and Mary whipped around to find one of the Telmarine soldiers charging towards them while General Glozelle and Lord Sopespian climbed onto their horses and made their way back to their army. Peter took the soldier down easily, slicing through the man's stomach and then his face.

"Go!" Peter ordered again once he had finished. The Narnians took their places and got ready. Peter and Edmund looked at one another, knowing that as kings of Narnia, it was their duty to stand before them all. The two brothers rushed to the edge of the pathway that led to the How.

"To arms, Telmar! To arms!" Glozelle shouted. The Telmarines roared and raised their weapons as he and Sopespian stopped right before the first line of soldiers. And then, they shot their first few catapults. Mary watched in horror as the massive rocks landed on parts of the How and even where some of the Narnian troops stood.

"Cavalry!" Glozelle raised his sword then pointed it to the side of the field across them. "Attack!"

The first group of Telmarine soldiers charged. When they were near enough, Caspian and Glenstorm took this as their cue to ride back into Aslan's How and execute their plan. Peter and Edmund kept their calm, remembering what they had discussed earlier. If things went according to this plan, it would work out greatly to their advantage. Then, Edmund suddenly remembered his conversation with Mary earlier regarding the battle. He had to make sure she kept her word now that it was all becoming a reality. Edmund left Peter's side, the older boy watching after him in confusion until he realized he was only going to talk to Mary.

Edmund grabbed Mary's wrist to catch her attention and so that she would understand how serious he was being.

"Do you promise to do as I said?" he asked her.

Mary hesitated. She know she said yes when he asked her the same thing earlier that day, but she really didn't want to just cling onto other Narnians just so she would live by the end of it. It just didn't feel right.

"Mary."

"Edmund, you know I can't do that," she said apologetically. "I can't just sit back and let everyone else —"

"All I asked was that you don't get too deep into the fight. I'm begging you," Edmund stressed, looking back and forth from her and Peter. He didn't have much time and needed to take his place next to his brother soon, but he wanted a final answer from Mary.

"If someone needs help, I'm gonna give it to them. I'm not going pretend like there isn't something I can do," Mary said with a tone of finality.

Eventually, Peter started counting, "One... two... three..."

Edmund sighed in frustration, letting go of her wrist.

"I know you're not one to stand back and watch while everyone does something, but I'm serious," he pleaded.

"So am I."

"Four... five... six... seven..."

The ground beneath them began to shake and rumble, both from the Telmarine army charging at them from above the ground and the Narnians hidden from view underground as their plan went into motion.

"Stop overestimating your abilities!"

Although Mary knew Edmund was only looking out for her, she couldn't help but feel offended. Among the people in Narnia, Edmund knew her the best. He knew that she just wouldn't back down from a fight no matter what. All her teasing and banter aside, she was just a girl with a big heart and strong character. She would do whatever she set her mind to, and yet here Edmund was, telling her that she should hold back and not overestimate her abilities. It just made it seem like he just saw her as someone weak and defenseless, and she didn't like it.