Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

POSTED 8/8/19

On one morning just a few days after the battle, Mary took a trip to the Telmarine castle's library. She was never much of an avid reader back in Finchley, but with her eagerness to learn about Narnia, she couldn't help but want to go to the library often. Doctor Cornelius recommended more books to her as well, glad to have someone interested in learning seeing as Caspian had been his only student for the longest time.

She was just on her way back to her room with a stack of books in hand when Aslan turned the corner, startling her. She nearly dropped the books but recovered quickly, releasing a breath she didn't know she held.

"Mary," the lion said with a soft smile. "What are you up to on this fine morning?"

"I was just going to do a bit of reading," she replied, showing off the books she held.

"Could you spare a bit of time with me?"

Mary raised her eyebrows, mildly surprised at his request.

"Oh, sure. Of course."

"Let's take a walk, then, shall we?"

Aslan guided her to one of the castle's gardens in a peaceful silence, the only sounds being the soft padding of his paws, the breeze passing through the trees, and the faint chatter of people inside the castle. While Mary found his presence calming, she was also extremely curious as to why he wanted to speak to her anyway.

"How has your stay in Narnia been?" Aslan asked.

"Wonderful," Mary said truthfully. "I'm glad that even though the Narnians had been in hiding for years, they've finally regained their freedom."

Aslan smiled. "You speak very highly of Narnia."

"It's not difficult to. It's a beautiful place with beautiful creatures."

"You must be worried that you won't get to see much of it, I suppose."

Mary paused. It was like he knew exactly what she was thinking of. It had been bothering her a bit, the thought always at the back of her mind. How long was she allowed to stay in Narnia? As many years as the Pevensies? Only a few days?

"Well, yes," she said slowly. "I've asked Edmund how one gets in and out of Narnia. He supposed it was whenever one was needed, and when their job was done."

"He is more or less correct," Aslan confirmed. "You enter Narnia for a reason and leave when you've accomplished what you are meant to do."

Mary recalled Aslan's words the day the battle: You have only just started what you are meant to do.

"You feel like you haven't done that yet, don't you?" Aslan smiled knowingly.

Mary nodded. "I've only just gotten here," she elaborated. "I know you told me not to dwell on the prophecy, but — but, it's not just that. I feel like I want to genuinely help the Narnians restore Narnia's glory and participating in that battle wasn't enough. I feel like I could do more if I stay here a bit longer."

"It would do you well to not discredit your achievements, young one," Aslan reminded her. "I do understand your sentiments, though. But I must tell you: you do have other responsibilities in your world. It's your decision what you want to prioritize."

Mary had thought she wanted to stay in Narnia for sure, but it was almost as if she was living in a good dream and Aslan's words brought her back to reality, reminding her that she had a life back home, as well.

"One thing is for sure, though," he continued. "This certainly won't be your last time here."

Hope filled Mary's chest at his words. With a creature as wise as Aslan, she had a feeling he wouldn't ever answer her questions directly and would instead guide her to the right answer. So, she let his words sink in, wondering if that meant that he wanted her to stay longer or she would just come back again sooner or later. Either way, she was glad to hear from Aslan himself that this wouldn't be her last visit to Narnia. While she enjoyed her life in Finchley, she knew it would be a waste not to stay in Narnia for a good amount of time.