Chapter 3: Wayward ✔️

CHAPTER 3

EDITED 1/20/22

For the first time since Mary arrived in Narnia that day, she was allowed to lean back and admire the view. She now sat in a comfortable silence with the Pevensies and the dwarf, whom they learned was named Trumpkin, as the boat floated down the river.

After that duel at the beach, the group had explained to Trumpkin what had happened to them thus far — entering Narnia without warning, having Mary come along with them, and discovering the prophecies hidden beneath the ruins of Cair Paravel. The man unfortunately did not have much answers to give to them, but he knew of the prophecy and was certain that their next move was to find the man who blew the horn.

Peter rowed the wooden boat, expertly maneuvering them through the rocks and split paths. Mary took this opportunity to gaze at the trees, rock formations, the sun that peeked through the crevices, and the clear waters. Narnia was beautiful, truly a sight to behold — but there was something eerie lurking underneath it that Mary had yet to figure out.

 Narnia was beautiful, truly a sight to behold — but there was something eerie lurking underneath it that Mary had yet to figure out

"They're so still," Lucy noted, looking up at the trees.

"They're trees. What do you expect?" Trumpkin said gruffly. Mary agreed with him on that one. What else were they supposed to do?

"They used to dance." Mary was about to question it but stopped herself. It was Narnia. She was told it was normal for animals and plants to act almost human-like. Still, the explanation from Lucy caught her off guard, and she wondered how this world looked and felt when everything else was alive.

"It wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded."

"What happened to those who did survive?" Mary couldn't help but ask.

"They retreated to the woods," Trumpkin informed her. "And the trees... they retreated so deep in themselves that they haven't been the same ever since."

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?" Lucy said.

"Who?" Mary muttered.

"He's basically the king of all the lands," Edmund said quietly while the others continued to converse. "He never really stays in one place."

"Aslan?" Trumpkin was saying in disbelief. "I thought he abandoned us like you lot."

"We didn't mean to leave, you know," Peter defended.

"Makes no difference now, does it?"

"But they're here now," Mary pointed out.

"Yes," Edmund agreed. "The point is that we're back here, and we're going to do everything we can to stop these Telmarines."

"That's right," Peter added firmly. "Bring us to the Narnians and it will make a difference."

The Pevensies, Mary, and Trumpkin reached land a little while later. They arrived at another beach, this time surrounded by more rocks, hills, and thickets of trees. Somehow, it seemed like there was less life around these areas despite the forest nearby, which was usually a sign that there should be a lot more animals plants in there.