Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

EDITED 7/16/21

"Caspian? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

After the incident with the White Witch, all who were involved were pretty shaken up. Mary, Caspian, and the Pevensie's gathered around the Stone Table, discussing what had happened. Mary was processing her encounter with the White Witch, Caspian looked guilty for having almost helped her be brought back to life, Peter and Edmund seemed distracted as they were probably deep in thought, and Lucy and Susan were silent.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to see my professor," Caspian spoke up again after a short pause.

"Alright, then," Susan answered when nobody else did. She and Caspian locked eyes with one another and Mary could practically see the sparks flying as Lucy would word it.

"I won't be long."

When he had left, Susan broke the silence once more and said, "Why don't we all go out, as well? Looks like we all need some fresh air, too."

"It's not like there isn't air in here," Edmund and Mary chorused. The two shared amused looks but said nothing of it whereas Lucy fought back a knowing smile.

"I think I'll stay here for a bit," Peter announced. "You all can go ahead."

"Well, if you're sure..." Susan trailed off. "I'll take a walk if you want to follow."

"I can stay with Peter for now," Lucy said, sending her oldest brother a kind smile. Susan nodded and left the room right after.

Edmund hopped off of the Stone Table where he sat next to Mary and wordlessly offered her a hand. She took it and went down as well before asking, "Where to?"

"There's a good view on the hill," Edmund replied. "By the steps. We could stay there."

Not having gone up to that part of Aslan's How yet, Mary nodded in agreement. She and Edmund bid their goodbyes to Lucy and Peter and made their way out of the tomb through the tunnel with the carvings. In the main area of the How, it was oddly more quiet than usual. News of their encounter with the White Witch must have spread quickly as well as the death of Nikabrik, who Trumpkin had no choice but to kill. They passed through various hallways and turns Mary hadn't seen yet until they reached an opening, the first few bits of sunlight before the sun officially rose peeking through the cracks. Edmund gestured for Mary to step out first. She was met with the soft rays of the sun and a gentle breeze as she stepped out onto the cobblestone floor. She realized she was on one of the levels above the entrance of Aslan's How that Mary noticed when they first got there but never really thought about how to get to. It truly was a good spot to overlook the view; she could clearly see the vast and green forest that spread to all ends with the sparking river in the distance.

"Nice, isn't it?" said Edmund, plopping down on the ground. Mary followed suit and they let their legs dangle off of the edge of the steps.

"It is," Mary replied before slowly asking, "So... that really was the White Witch, huh?"

"Yes," Edmund said, looking straight ahead. "She hasn't changed."

Mary thought back to when she got lost in a trance just looking at the White Witch. It was frightening to think what would have happened if she — or Peter or Caspian — hadn't been interrupted by Edmund stabbing the wall of ice from behind. She could've given in to the Witch's requests without her realizing it.

"I... I have to admit that she really was deceiving."

"She really is. That was brave of you, though. To try and step in before Peter or Caspian could give in to her."