Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

EDITED 7/16/21

It was noisy and chaotic in Aslan's How after Edmund delivered the news of Miraz accepting Peter's challenge. Many were excited to see their High King defeat the tyrant, but many were also in disagreement because this was merely a diversion; they knew the Telmarines wouldn't keep their word and war would be declared anyway.

Mary went to see Susan and Lucy off before they headed to the woods while Edmund helped Peter get ready for his single combat with Miraz. Caspian and Mary led the way to the back of the How with Susan and Lucy on either side of them. The two Pevensie sisters and Caspian filled Mary in on the strategy that they had formulated during the time she was out with Edmund delivering Peter's message to Miraz.

"I do hope you bring Aslan here soon, though," Mary told Lucy once she had finished explaining the plan. "I've been dying to meet him."

"Don't worry, I will," Lucy said with a smile. "He will love you."

Mary sighed. She truly believed in Lucy; she knew she wouldn't lie about seeing Aslan nor would she agree to this dangerous plan if she didn't have faith that Aslan would come back. But because Mary had never met him, there was a small twinge of doubt inside of her. What if he didn't show up? What were they supposed to do then? What was she expected to do as part of the prophecy? She wanted to do what she could to help save Narnia, but she was just going with the flow of everything currently going on. Anxiety now mixed with her doubts as she thought about what their last option would be. The Narnians were strong, but they were small in numbers. She feared the outcome in the event that Aslan didn't arrive.

"We'll be back before you know it," Lucy reassured, already sensing Mary's nervousness. "And even if we aren't back yet, they have you."

Mary smiled at Lucy's attempt to make her feel better.

"Thanks, Lucy," she said, nudging her playfully. "You better tell Aslan I'm gonna kick his butt if he doesn't show up to the party."

Lucy giggled and nodded. "I'll give him the message."

The four of them arrived at the stables that led to the back of the How. Caspian offered to let the two girls use his horse, Destrier, rather than a random one because he felt that in the event that things went downhill, he trusted his horse to get Susan and Lucy out of any sticky situation.

Lucy climbed up on Destrier first. Caspian assisted Susan next, and Mary shared a smirk with Lucy when the two of them looked at one another a bit too long.

"Destier has always served me well," said Caspian after a moment. "You are in good hands."

"Or hooves," Lucy joked.

Mary grinned in amusement while Caspian simply smiled softly. Then, he looked at Susan again as if he wanted to say something important.

"Good luck," was all he chose to say.

"Thanks," Susan replied shortly.

Caspian searched through his satchel slung over his shoulder. Mary watched curiously as he pulled out a horn — Susan's horn. Even if they had been in Narnia for weeks, this was the first time Mary had seen the magical horn everyone talked about. The one that brought help to whoever blew it.

"Look. Maybe it is time you had this back."

Caspian lifted his hand up to pass it to Susan. She paused and looked at the horn thoughtfully. Just before Mary thought she would take it, she leaned back.

"Why don't you hold onto it?" Susan told him. "You might need to call me again."

Mary's jaw would've dropped at how smooth Susan's reply was if she didn't stop herself. Once again, she and Lucy shared looks with each other, but it was cut short when Susan slapped the reigns of Destrier and the horse galloped away before either Mary or Caspian could say another word.