Chapter 6: Lurker ✔️

CHAPTER 6

EDITED 1/20/22

The sun was setting by the time Peter concluded his final meeting with the Narnians before their plans were to be set in motion. After Mary and the Pevensies reported what they had seen earlier — the Telmarines' camp and their preparations for war with a massive collection of contraptions and weapons — they knew they were at a disadvantage if they were to be attacked any time soon. So, with the combined help of Reepicheep's knowledge and experience in stealing weapons as well Caspian's intel on the Telmarines, their first task was to steal the the enemy's firearms in the middle of the night. Since Mary had been feeling restless the entire day, she volunteered to help them in that mission.

Nightfall was just around the corner when Mary, the Pevensies, Caspian, and the few Narnians present there gathered to eat dinner. There was a large fire burning in the center of their designated space to give them warmth, which Mary was grateful for. She was sitting on a log, eating native berries next to a Reepicheep that was spouting his adventures, when Edmund walked over to them. He was holding two goblets of water and handed one to Mary, who took it with a thankful smile, and then he sat down next to her.

"I can sense that my presence is unnecessary," said Reepicheep.

"What?" Mary said confusedly, looking down at him. "Weren't you just telling me about your battles?"

"We can save that for another time," the mouse said, tipping the feather tucked behind his left ear at her. "'Til next time, Lady Mary."

Mary frowned as Reepicheep scurried away to Lucy instead, wondering what made him leave so quickly. She didn't notice that Edmund had a mini staring contest with the mouse after handing her the goblet, to which Reepicheep knew meant that the boy wanted to talk to only her for whatever reason.

"I can't believe you volunteered to help steal the weapons," was the first thing Edmund said.

"You were all telling me I was the one in the prophecy, so I thought I might as well do it," Mary shrugged.

"We weren't forcing you —"

"I'm kidding," she reassured with a light laugh. "I actually want to do it. I feel like it's something I can help with."

Edmund sighed, taking a sip of his water. "Why did Caspian have to volunteer, too?"

Mary raised her eyebrows. "He's a Telmarine, Edmund. He probably knows the best way to execute this plan."

The fair-skinned boy merely huffed in response and Mary laughed again at her friend's protectiveness.

"Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he'd much rather have Susan in this mission than me," Mary pointed out.

"Susan?" said Edmund, puzzled. "What does she have to do with this?"

"Don't tell me you haven't seen the looks they've been giving each other." When Edmund didn't reply, Mary gasped dramatically. "You haven't? Wow, boys sure are daft."

"It's not like I stare at Caspian all day, so I wouldn't notice."

"What's not to stare at, though?" Mary teased, glancing at the aforementioned prince who was busy talking to some of the Narnians. "He's quite attractive."

Edmund grumbled in annoyance, not having a smart reply for that.

"Shut up and eat your berries."

Eventually, midnight arrived. Some of the Narnians took the night shift to watch over the camp while others rested to get themselves ready for their travel the following day. Meanwhile, Mary, Caspian, and a few other volunteers set foot for the Telmarines' temporary camp.