thirteen;

[Name] sat down on the bench by the park, feeling burnt out by the crying

[Name] sat down on the bench by the park, feeling burnt out by the crying. The girl never really cried this much since her parent's perished.

Lots of thoughts lingered in her head, she stayed silent, she didn't even listen to her favorite song on her phone that she was gripping or did art.

"[Name]?" A familiar voice called, [Name] lifted her head up but kept her gaze on the ground, gently squeezing her phone. "What are you doing here, so late?" [Name] sniffed, finally had the energy to look at the person. It was Meiying, behind her was Cheng.

"I just had a fight with my mom, possibly Dre, I hope he's not mad at me too." [Name] replied, wiping her tears away. "What happened?" Meiying asked, like a good friend she is, she sat down next to [Name]. Cheng felt awkward being around two girls, so he stood still, curious of what has led Dre and [Name] fighting.

"I feel so silly," [Name] lets out a high pitched cry, Meiying and Cheng cringe at the noise, [Name]'s grip on her phone loosened.

"I tried showing Dre how much I care about him, but everything I do just doesn't work out!" An ugly cry, Meiying wrapped an arm around [Name], trying to comfort her. Cheng's eyes widen at the sight of the girl's phone almost falling sideways, so he quickly crouched down and grabbed it.

Cheng accidentally bumped on the bench's corner making him silently groan, he sat next to [Name] whilst trying to ease the pain in his leg. The girl was now in the middle between Meiying and Cheng.

Meiying raised an eyebrow at Cheng, not really understanding what happened but Cheng only shook his head.

"Now he's fighting with Mom because he never wanted to be here in the first place," [Name] frowned and turned to Cheng, "Especially when you came along-" The girl kicked Cheng on his leg making him shut his eyes in pain, groaning.

"And now—" There's that ugly cry again, Cheng placed his arm on the backrest of the bench, behind [Name]. The boy threw his head back as he groaned in pain, "You idiot! My leg hurts and you—" Cheng couldn't finish his sentence when the girls kept quiet.

Cheng stared at [Name]. The girl's [eye color] orbs stared at him, her eyes were red and puffy, so was her nose. Fresh tears ran down her cheeks, the girl's hair was frizzy and untamed, her lips quivered.

"Can't you see she's in despair? Quit your whining!" Meiying frowned, running her hand up and down on [Name]'s back.

"I'm sure Dre doesn't hate you." Meiying whispered, "He probably has things on his mind, he needs time to himself." [Name] frowned, wiping her tears like a little kid, hating the feeling of that hard lump in her throat that she can't gulp.

"That's just it, I'm scared that I'm crowding him and I don't know when to stop!" Meiying frowned at the sight of her friend being in such state.

Meiying opened her mouth, trying to think of something—anything to comfort her but nothing came out. "It's—" The girl was stopped when Cheng stood up, looking at [Name] with a shy look, "Come, I'll order you some dumplings." [Name] and Meiying stared at him in shock, "But I don't have any—" Cheng rolled his eyes, not wanting to repeat himself.

"Get up." Cheng said, [Name] and Meiying instantly stood up, scared. "I'm not repeating myself." Cheng mumbled, walking away from the girls.

"Is that safe?" Asked [Name], "I don't know, but who are we to decline dumplings?" Meiying laughed, the girl grabbed [Name]'s arm and pulled her towards Cheng.

"You're being nice," [Name] said to Cheng, Cheng raised a brow at the girl, a bored look on his face before looking at the busy road, waiting for the right time to cross.

"One time thing." Cheng mumbled, shoving his hands in his pockets. [Name] looked around, feeling quite scared at the honking and the harsh lights of the cars passing by.

Unconsciously, [Name] sneaked her hands around Cheng's left arm. Hugging his arm tight, "H-HOi..!" Cheng scolded, looking at [Name]. Meiying wrapped her arm around [Name]'s left arm so that they were all together, "Get off me, what did I say about keeping your hands away from me?!" Cheng tried pushing [Name]'s head away from leaning on his shoulder but she wouldn't lift a single finger.

"Ugh!" Cheng groaned, not in the mood to fight, he was going to treat 'her' some dumplings. The boy doesn't know why, he lost his appetite, he could've eaten a whole dish by himself but now, all he wanted was to treat the crying girl some food and ice cream.

The girl's perfume was strong, Cheng could smell it even with the small gap between Cheng's chin and [Name]'s head. All he could think was, 'She smells like that imaginary scent of the moon and felt as fragile as the silky dress Chang'e wore that night.'

As soom as the three went inside a small restaurant, [Name] quickly went to follow and sit down next to Meiying, that was until—

"Oh? Cheng, Meiying, and [Name]?" All heads turned to the voice, it was Liang and Zhuang, Cheng's best of friends.

"Save some for us!" Zhuang laughed, plopping down next to Meiying, which ended up the available seat next to Cheng.

"Let me guess, Meiying had to treat twinkle toes as an apology for Cheng being a jerk." Liang smirked, snatching an chair from another table.

"Surprisingly, It was Cheng's idea." Zhuang and Liang yelled in surprise, which earned a slap from Cheng, "Why though?" Liang asked, looking at the shy girl who was playing with her phone that Cheng gave her after sitting down.

"Yeah, Yeah! I want to know!" Zhuang smirked, slapping his hand on the table. "Quit that!" Meiying scolded, slapping Zhuang's hand away from the table.

"Who cares, Why are you two here anyway?" Cheng asked, resting his cheek on the palm of his hand.

"To treat ourselves something to eat of course! Since you're here—..."

"Hell no."

"But-"