CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO
────────────────────────
THE WEIRDOS ON MAPLE STREET

3k words

             You keep your face buried in your knees whilst the boys give you and eleven an unwelcome questionnaire of who you guys could be and what your situation was.

Eleven meekly sits in a spare jacket from the boy with freckles whilst nervously clutching the hem of her oversized shirt. If it wasn't for the circumstance, you'd be overjoyed with thanking him. He was a bit of a himbo for letting two strange people into his basement but, the gesture was thoughtful.

"Do you have parents we could call?"
"Your hair... do you have cancer?" the boy with a hat marvels at Eleven's haircut. The dark-skinned boy scrutinizes you before muttering "and why do you have hair?" —you roll your eyes. You wished they'd shut their mouths and let you think.

         The one that questioned your hair reached for eleven before the freckled boy hits him. "Stop it! You're freaking them out!" but he rebuttals "they're freaking me out!"

"Maybe they're deaf!" the boy with the hat claps, making Eleven jerk her head back at the sudden gesture. The curiosity is valid but it's super important to remember that Eleven doesn't like to be overwhelmed. Just as you raise your head to stop them, the middle kid shuts down the questionnaire session. "That's enough alright? They're just scared... and cold"

He seems unsure but goes to retrieve clothing for both of you to wear. Eleven was offered a blue sweatshirt and grey sweatpants as you were given a green short-sleeved shirt with black sweats. Slowly surveying him, you grab both pairs of clothing from him whilst giving him a grateful bow "Thank you"

The trio bristles and the boy with the hat is first to marvel at your voice. "Ah, so you can talk" you nod, handing eleven her clothes. "Shut up Dustin. Your voice is pretty" the middle boy gives you and gentle smile, reassuring you.

The boy on the left rolls his eyes and turns his attention back on Eleven. He watches with disapproval as you give the clothes a testy sniff as Eleven rubbed the sweater against her cheek. You watch as she stands up, following in suit to take off your donated shirt just as she is. The middle and left boy instantly grab eleven and yourself, giving a million "no"s

        Confused with the protest, you look at the boy with the hat. He's nearly on the other side of the room. Was there something wrong with this?

At the lab, they always made you dress in front of them... but now it was weird. Eleven exchanged a look with you that revealed that she was also confused by the bewilderment of the boys.

Softly, you stand as the boy in front of you lets you go, sighing in relief. "Why... not?" you squint, cheeks heating up when he says "Not in front of boys... okay?" he gives you two thumbs up with a nervous smile. You nod and listen to the nice boy as he shows Eleven the bathroom. "You can change in there with your friend alright? Privacy. Get it?"

Eleven is winded with the situation but slowly understands as you hand her the clothes from the couch. She quietly follows you in, surveying the small room just as you were leaning on the wall, hiding from the freckled boy.