CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
────────────────────────
THE BODY

4.1K words, not proofread

              A look of sympathy is plastered on your face as a whimper comes through the walkie-talkie. Whatever was happening to that kid wasn't good, and you wanted to be able to help him so bad.

Quietly, you poke Eleven and urge her to try finding the boy again "I heard a whimper?" you carefully asked. Lucas' uninterested voice answers for you "Yeah, I heard a baby" he dismissed.

Both you and Mike squint at him
"What?"

"Mike, they obviously made you tap into a baby monitor" but you shake your head, bristling at the blasphemy. Trying to dismiss your thoughts, you sigh in defeat, shrinking behind Eleven "Was that not Will?"

Making your fear come true, Lucas gave you a remorseless nod "It was probably the neighbors next door, they have a kid...." he trails off, watching your face fall "—but don't feel too bad. Mike suggested we try" he accuses, sending the culprit a glare.

"Lucas, you don't understand. He spoke last night! Words!" he pleads, voice pitching higher than usual. "He was singing that weird song he loves. Even Six started singing it!" he points at you.

You're put on the spot as Dustin and Lucas give you an expecting stare. It takes all of your courage you turn your head "Not singing" Dustin appears to be dejected but Lucas didn't budge. "As expected from blood creep and mind freak" you merely roll your eyes at his amateur insult.

"Blood creep?" The insult reminded you of one of your many brothers called "2". He was very mean but he could be nice to you sometimes whilst treating Eleven as if she was a nuisance. 2 thought she was weak, and called her any insult he could come up with.

but that was a memory for another day. "Do you have it on the right channel?" Dustin inquires, fulling investing in this phenomenon. "I don't think it's about that... I think, somehow, she's channeling him" he ponders, watching her fidget with the channels again.

"Like... like professor X" Dustins adds. Finally interested in this conversation, you look up from your hands "Who's Professor X? Is he a doctor?"

Lucas is flabbergasted; however, he shakes himself out of it to take a second to think of a definition. "Professor X is a character in X men. Basically, their leader" you nod, an eyebrow unintentionally rising.

"Yea! Like you and El!" Mike comments. You may not be Einstein but, was Mike saying that Eleven was your leader? It wasn't necessarily insulting for him to think so but, why do you always have to be the one to follow someone around.

Lucas scoffs "Don't listen to him. I'll let you read my comics one day... if I like you enough" he says, hands emphasizing the seriousness of his proposition. Your eyes are wide and your back is straighter than a stick "Promise?", nearly giggling at the thought of learning something so cool with Lucas.

For the first time, he looks legitimately winded by your enthusiasm to do anything involving him. "um..." mike awkwardly scratches his head. A boom, you've done it, you actually managed to make Lucas be quiet! He rolls his eyes but still nods, looking away soon after.