Chapter 14: Skeletons In The Black Box

As Kiara dashed out of the hospital, she headed straight to Collins' house, screw that she's still a resident there, she headed straight to her house, she went straight to Collins' room, the room was locked, she had no choice but to break the door open, there she saw a black box beneath the bed and she moved close to checking it, though it is true that she has the confidence to scan through the building to find something fishy, but opening a strange and black box could be something her spirit is fighting against, something like, "Kiara, what do you think is in the box, what if it's a bomb", "a bomb in the room?" Kiara thought, "if it's not a bomb it could be a Snake", "yes, it could be a Snake" Kiara thought, "Collins always had the passion for snakes" she pulled the box out and to her assurance she saw a diagram of a viper, with lights shining around it. "Vipers are hyper dangerous" Kiara said, she was scared, really scared, the sweats showed the tension that took over her nature, she taps the box hardly with her fingers, "at least any snake would also respond to stimuli", the box remained as calm as ever, she hit the box with her fist and the box remained still, "this could be a camouflage, a veil to debar any intruder" Kiara thought as she summoned every ounce of courage in her to open the mysterious box, just to find lifeless sheets of papers lying in the black box, "shit damn it, Collins is a bastard", she carried the box and put it on the bed, TIME TO CHECK THINGS OUT.

She brought out the first piece of paper, and she saw a book that consists of a signed agreement, an agreement of the house, the very house that she's ransacking, "I have no business with this" she said putting the document aside, then she encountered a book, an old saggy book that looks like a journal or diary, "hahaha, I'm not going to consider what Collins will lose, I will let all his cat out of his skimpy bag and afterwards let hell loose" she laughs cynically. Kiara opened the first page, "wow, this is a 30 year old diary", Kiara exclaimed, she was surprised that finally Collins has one good thing in his entire lifetime, he keeps record, now I know why he never forgets things that happens, this is because he keeps record of every single thing, "ha ha ha oh my goodness" Kiara laughs, "he's been a thief from childhood actually" she said as she was reading the page where Collins recorded that he stole some dollars from his father while his father was drunk and was assaulting his mother physically, "been a hell boy since ever" Kiara scoffs.

Soon enough, Kiara heard the door break open, "only a good kick could do that" Kiara thought, She quickly hid herself in Collins' closet, she could easily peep and see what was going on, then she saw a man dressed like a ninja without swords, walk into the room, the he or she picked her newly found evidence, the box and it's content and walked out again.

Kiara was scared for some minutes, though a cop, but she's heard of the brutality of hired assassins, they kill anyone they see, she waited for some minutes, "you should call the cop" her instincts insist, "well I'm one myself" she opposes as she came out of her hiding, "it's either this assassin is from The Midnight Cop or from Collins, it would mean that my mother is in danger" she dashed out of the house, "what about the door" she thought, "to hell with the door" she said on her run to the hospital.

AT THE HOSPITAL

"Hello Miss Reception, how is my Mom?" She asked as she dashed into the hospital and went straight on the way to her ward, she saw doctors on the way wearing a very sad look and nurses running helter-skelter, "only an emergency could warrant such a scene" she thought, she ran faster and as she got to her Mom's ward she met the door wide open and the doctor's face looking narrowly down.

"Ms. Kiara, I'm sorry, I can explain" the doctor said.

Kiara brushed her hair backwards, she had expected it, "is this how lame your security is?" Kiara asked rather pleadingly, "you just allowed my Mom to die so easily?, Well it won't affect me too much, she was not normal after all, she was more like a liability, the assassin just helped me out, but her death was just too easy, there was no form of you catching the culprit and expose all of Collins' skeletons, you could have caught the perpetrator and let all his sneaky cats out of his filthy bag" Kiara raged pacing up and down and afterwards turning her face against the wall, with one hand resting.

"Kiara, I was a liability?" A shaky voice from the block entrance asked.

Kiara raised her head to see her dead mother, her brain let go of her and all she could hear was a loud thud that entitled her to a ward in the hospital.

"Ms. Kiara, you should have taken things easy" the doctor said as Kiara opened her eyes from her unconsciousness.

"Doc, I saw the dead come alive" she muttered.

"No, you saw the lost being found" the Doctor replied.

"What do you mean, Doc?" Kiara enquired.

"Your Ms. Hailey did not die, after I supervised her medication for the night, I left her with a nurse, the nurse said she went to pee swiftly, then she was back and Hailey was gone, we looked for her I think up to half an hour, we searched like fools and then we thought about checking the CCTV footage of the hospital, just then we saw that a ninjaly-dressed man in black entered and took her out of the hospital, then seconds later another Ninja entered this one in red, he or she checked and seemed rather disappointed, so I guess, the red wanted to hurt your mom then the black saved her"

"Oh" she let out a relieved sigh.

"But you made some comments that made her situation a bit worse, she just used her medications so she was normal during the night since there was no stress to her brain, but then the things you said worsened her situation and now we realized that she has been diagnosed of memory loss"

"Well, it's starting to look like I was made to destroy that woman's life" Kiara said looking very sad, she sat up on the bed and picked her phone, she clicked the data connection button and her phone started to receive various notifications that got her surprised, she clicked the breaking news and there was Collins' picture boldly, and beside it a page out of the diary, "this was the same page I read" she exclaimed as she scrolled and saw other pages she has not read been exposed.

"You said?" The Doctor asked.

"Don't bother" Kiara said, her eyes scanned through the webpage, checked the blogger who post it and she saw THE MIDNIGHT COP, "Archer seems to be the man of the season, he's the best in making Collins tremble" Kiara laughed heartily.

"I hope there's no cause for concern ma" the Doctor asked.

"Oh, it's a cause for celebration, Collins has been served right, my supposed father has let the cat out of the bag" she said.

"Your supposed father, you mean Mr. Collins?" the Doctor asked.

"My supposed father is THE MIDNIGHT COP"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let me pause things here, well continue next week, love you all so much.

Happy Id El Kabir.

© Deyoungprof Stories 2022

Written and Arranged by Deyoungprof (Solomon Stephen Sunday)

Edited and Reviewed by Samuel Ikubuwaje