Chapter 4 - Modesty

- Sorry that I haven't been updating guys. I have been unavoidably busy this week. Here's something special ... I hope that you enjoy it. -

•GERARD's POV••

The ranch was already bustling with activity despite the early hour as was per usual a day before the weekend. Grants were early risers. Always was and always will be. We were bred that way so the ranch was no exception.

Every two weeks, we employed the services of the Millions. Whenever the stocks and goods ran low, they would always be on time to replenish. Their feed among other things was the best in town and that was what made their client list expand to nearly the entire population of Red Oak.

The Millions owned Red Oak's most prominent mercantile. The family consisted of ole man Million, his wife, their daughter, Jenna and son, Jonah.

They were a small yet capable unit as they were responsible for the chief delivery services. Jenna and Jonah took care of the deliveries while their parents stayed back at the shop to conduct sales.

It was no different today. Carl, Aaron and Jeb received stock, hoisting the stacks of feed off to the store room while Jeb, Lucas and I handled the stables cleaning and refurbishing the stalls with hay to make it more comfortable for the horses.

By about ten, the sun really began to take effect. The cool breeze had all but stopped blowing a long time ago and as a result, Jeb and Lucas lost their shirts and so did I.

After another five minutes, the boys and I decided to catch a break. It had been long overdue. We waited our turns to you the standpipe that was just outside of the stables. When I had finally quenched my thirst, I noticed that they fell silent.

To no surprise, they were staring in the my opposite direction. At Jenna Million. She was a typical cowgirl. She had the boots, accent and even the hat to go with it. Their were a lot of who tried to pursue something with her but she just seemed kind off limits ... like Reilly.

Jenna was easy on the eyes and really sweet but wherever she was her brother was not too far behind though that never bothered me before. Besides, she was always the one to approach me despite her brother's warnings.

"How could you turn her down?" Colton spoke as if in a daze.

Jenna was dressed in a short denim jeans that came to rest on her mid-thighs, a fitted faded lilac plaid shirt and caramel brown cowboy boots. She was a vision by all rights but for some reason I have always considered her a sister and not just because her brother was one of my few friends.

Jonah and I grew up together. There were three of us. Maleek Adams, Jonah Million and me, Gerard Grant. We've been friends since we were in our mother parents bellies. Our mothers have been friends for far longer and they go way back.

Lucas wiped his brow in exaggeration while Colton whistled to himself. I shook my head in disgust because aside from the fact that I considered her my sister, I was also very protective of her.

"Get back to work you rascals," I said through gritted teeth.

"Yes boss," They immediately snapped out of their reverie hastening back into the stables.

I sauntered over to where Carl, Jeb and Aaron were taking the sacks of feed from the back of the pickup truck. Jonah also helped them to carry in the feed while Jenna to account of the delivered good checking off all the items to make sure they delivered the correct items even though did did the activity every two weeks. She stood leaning against the truck with a clip board and pen in her hands.

"What on earth do you think you're doing? WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU HIDDEN THE REST OF YOUR CLOTHES?!!!" I hissed causing her to start and drop the clip board and pen.