Chapter 35 - Settle

Hey Rom-Cubs,

It's official the is the second-to-last chap of Book I. I hope your stay in Red Oak was more than eventful and interesting enough.

One of you, xoovoshawt, made me the beautiful cover featured in the chap. I would like to thank you very much both for your cover and support. I really do appreciate it.

Please
VOTE
COMMENT
RECOMMEND
FAN

Stay Sweet you guys!!! :p

Enjoy! XD

- Ang

--------

•• REILLY's POV•

No matter how many days I'd been here ward at the one place I hated the most in the world, my initial feelings remained the same. My mind more so plagued by that which I couldn't recall regardless of the effort I placed into it.

Seven days had passed since I was admitted to the hospital and even now I couldn't shake the nostalgic feeling that gripped me ever since I'd opened my eyes. I missed my mother most in the world especially as the other patients family's came to visit them. I felt like the odd man out ... like I didn't get some coded message.

Even Gerard the sinfully gorgeous stranger that had kissed me a week ago had visitors. Sometimes within the visiting hours, I would take a stroll around absorbing the sight of what I couldn't have. It came to my knowledge that the mystical cowboy had a beautiful family that loved him very much. Knowledge of those things specifically stored away at the back of my mind came flooding back with a vengence and my heart would sink every time. Yet I continued on these strolls everyday for the past week.

Pity. I didn't want pity. I just wanted a family of my own to love and to love me back but instead my father the one person I had left wouldn't even spare me one second of his precious time. The notion was a dagger to my chest.

I didn't have anything to go home to but an empty house full of bad memories from my recognizable past.

The doctor came into my room once again checking my vitals like he had every day this past week. After the routined check up he instructed me not to do anything strenuous and to get more rest but he said that he was pleased to see me healing so well but the words that held the most weight was when he told me that I could go home.

I wasted no time not even to clothed myself. I just wanted to get out of there and I did. I had to get as far away from the hospital as possible. As far away from him as humanly possible.

After Gerard had kissed me a week ago, I began to wonder what it meant to him. It didn't feel the way I'd expected my first kiss to be and that scared me. The kissed had kept me up even after he'd left my room.

What if he just want to get into my pants? What if he was a brute like my father? What if I fell in love with him just to get a broken heart? I mean look at him he could have any woman he wanted without much effort so why would he settle for an average woman like me? No, I'd gone been through a lot over the years and a broken heart would be my undoing.

At long last, I crossed the threshold of the hospital walls walking passed the guards at the booth trekking pass various establishments on my walk home. It may be a good walk from the hospital but one thing I'm sure would distract me from my desperate thoughts was a good stroll home.

In two hours, Gerard would come to my room only to find an empty bed and that I'd been discharged. At the moment, I'm not sure how to feel about that but I know that he won't have trouble finding someone and something better than I could offer.

After some time, I reached Locket's bar pausing only for a moment as I'd done just before entering the bar prior but this time I walked home with tear stained eyes right up to the porch.

As I opened the front door, the sickening stench of alcohol engulfed me setting of a gag effect. I held my breathe hastening up the stairs instead of jogging, I didnt want my stitching to tear that would be unfortunate and not to mention unwelcomed as it would send me right back to where I'd came from and who knows what they would find that time.

I reached the top of the stairs turning left down the hall to my room. I stopped abruptly outside my door recalling those times when I cried myself to sleep wishing my mother was there to comfort me ... to hold me tight. I turned the doorknob lightly shoving the door in while I glanced around at its disheveled state.

There was one thing in particular I was in search of my mother's favorite book. The one I'd always seen her reading when I was too young to even know how to read. I found it where I'd hid it safely so that it wouldn't be mistreated or burned at the hand of my father.

Nevermind it was a bit dusty from the time stored away. I took it hugging it in my arms before digging deep to find a roll of money I managed to hid away in hopes of leaving and now that I was it was easier because I had everything I needed.

I left my room travelling painstakingly slow down the hall to my parents room. The door was left ajar so I pushed on it opening it further to reveal the neat bedroom. It was almost as though my mother was here. The room untouched everything was as my mother had left it. I wanted something of hers to keep me warm at night. I didn't know how hard it was going to be but I was sure I would feel better if I had something of hers.
My eyes fell on the closed doors of her wardrobe. There I would find just the thing I needed. Opening the doors, my eyes instantly beheld a red scarf. As I took it from its place around the neck of a hanger something fell catching my eye.

A picture! I picked it up to see my mother smiling brightly. She was in an embrace with the other woman who I couldn't identify because her back was to the camera. The sun was setting in the background matching my mother's smile in a brilliant display. At the back of the picture there was my mother's handwriting neat and cursive.

3:45 p.m. September's Place, Mahogany Springs.

I found a paper, wrote down the details for insurance. It looked like I had found my destination. The place where I would learn more about my mother. I guess I would be on the next train to Mahogany Springs. If my mother was so happy there maybe there's a chance I would be to. One thing was for sure I couldn't stay here anymore.

--• END of Chapter Thirty-five •--