Chapter 24 Seige

Cherry backed up to give everyone more room. She looked at all her friends and family, doing a headcount. She was relieved to find them all there. They were all panting slightly, but looked unharmed as they settled nervously into the chairs in the hall room. Amber was up and pacing. Rose was glowering at the door, like she could see through it and was NOT HAPPY. Everyone else was wilting like dead flowers, dreading the NightWings outside.

Suddenly Rose swirled around to face everyone. Her eyes darted around the room, taking every defeated, unhappy face in. She looked supremely disappointed in EVERYONE. Besides Amber.

Rose clapped her hands twice, LOUDLY. Everyone jumped at the loud noise. "Okay, y'all. There's a group of eight dragons out there, waiting for us to leave so they can jump down on us and kill us. They are very dangerous, highly skilled assassins that we barely have a chance against."

Everyone was drooping with worry and fear looking more depressed than before, not at all impressed or reassured by Rose's "pep talk". Rose glared at them and continued. "I wasn't finished. I was going to say. We have Amber's strength. And mine. And Cherry's magic. And each of us can defend ourselves against those jerks who are threatening us. WE HAVE GOT THIS! Do you hear me, dragonets of destiny?"

She glared at everyone until they all nodded, and Boriel, who had been peeking out the window, spoke up.

Boriel's talons were on the window frame, gripping them so hard her nails were chipping the wood. "I'm glad you're all confident and stuff now, because the Nightwings are looking pretty scary and frankly I'm petrified with fear."

Blackpearl sidled up to Boriel and wrapped her dark blue wings around Boriel's mahogany shoulders.

"Give me a minute to study the assassins. I'll come up with a plan." Blackpearl stared out the window for a few minutes in silence, and everyone kept quiet for her benefit. Suddenly she snapped her fingers and gestured towards Oak. Oak fumbled in one of the wooden drawers next to him. He finally got what he was looking for.

Oak tossed her a scroll and ink bottle, and Blackpearl released Boriel to start writing. She spoke as she wrote. "Each of those Nightwings has a special weapon. I can see it clearly from here. We'll pair each of us with the NightWing whose skill fits with ours. For example, Amber will take out the throwing star dragon, because her reflects will easily dodge the stars, and when she reaches him she can easily wrestle his puny body TO. THE. GROUND. And then punch him!"

Oak and Rose glanced at each other in surprise. "That...that's actually a good idea!" Oak cheered in happiness. He gave a reassuring smile to Boriel. "We're going to be fine, Boriel. There's no reason to worry." Boriel sighed, but gave him a weak smile in return.. "Blackpearl, what about the rest of them?"

Blackpearl placed her talons on her temples again. "Well as I said, Amber goes with the skinny Nightwing. I can fight the largest Nightwing. He doesn't have a weapon and just relies on brute strength to win. I can predict his moves and he is no match for my Seawing tail. Rose can take the last Nightwing, he only has a knife for close range combat, so her venom can take him out instantly. Now for the Leafwings, there are two of them. Boriel and Yeti can attack them together. I don't know why, but I have a feeling. Oak can take the yellow Rainwing, he has many long range weapons though, so be careful. You can get him with your Leafspeak. Shard can attack the purple Rainwing. This will be the toughest battle. Cherry however will have a close second with the brown one. This is the battle that has the highest potential for loss of life. But it is the only way," Blackpearl finished.

Rose looked just about ready to jump at her throat. "I am NOT putting my daughter in danger! I'll take two of them! Then Cherry can stay inside." Rose glared at everyone. "End. Of. Discussion."