000, carolina

SUMMER'S WHAT CAROLINA looked forward to every year. she has spent all of her summers here ever since she was 10 years old. her parents bought a summer house after longing for one for years. she loved coming here every summer. she loved everything about the place, the people, the country club, and most importantly the beach.

the drive to the beach was her favorite part. when carolina stuck her head out the car window and smelt the salty air hit her face, it was a sign that she was close to her favorite place in the world, cousins beach.

when she was 10, her and her brother, daniel, met the fishers and the conklins. they were in the house next to theirs and happened to kick a ball into their yard. susannah fisher made her son, conrad, ask the neighbors to get the ball back. she came with him to get it because he didn't wanna go alone.

when the doorbell rung, her and daniel sprinted to the door. the two both opened the door revealing a woman with golden hair and a boy around carolina's age. "mom! we have visitors!" a 11 year old daniel shouted.

her mom walked up to the door and smiled at the two on their doorstep. "hi, i'm susannah fisher. this is conrad and he kicked a ball into your yard. do you mind if he goes and gets it?" the woman kindly smiled.

"yes, of course. i'm katie harper." she said and conrad went to get the ball. "uh—how old is he? maybe he can play with them sometime. we just bought this house this year and it would be great if they made some friends here." their mom said.

"connies 10 and i have another son jeremiah who's 9. my best friend has a daughter, belly whose turning 9 in a couple of days and steven who's 9. they haven't gotten here yet. they get here tomorrow." susannah replied. "oh wonderful! this is daniel he is 11 and this is carolina and she's 10." the two kids waved at the woman.

"do you kids wanna play with connie and jeremiah?" the woman asked and the two kids looked at their mom for approval. she nodded and susannah invited their mom over for some drinks.

after that summer, carolina looked forward to going to cousins. she had new friends there and she was so exited to see them each year. after a couple years, she felt like she could call cousins a second home. she knew all the spots around the island and where the best places were
to watch whales. she knew the whole island by memory.

carolina used to call winter her favorite time of year, but summer soon became much more important to her.