018, love, susannah

CAROLINA AND CONRAD walked to the beach together hand in hand. it was early in the morning and the sun was still rising. her eyes were still puffy from the night before. it was the last day that they were going to be there and they wanted to spend some time together before spending some time with the others.

summer passed by quicker than carolina expected. truthfully, she was not ready to go to college. she was afraid for the future for her and for conrad.

"i don't want to ever leave." conrad said as carolina sat in between his legs. he pulled her closer into him to take in her scent, which comforted him. "and it's different this time. before, i just wanted no school and for it to be summer all year round. now, i know when i leave here, there is a lot waiting for me."

susannah was going to try a treatment that is supposed to help her get better, but there is a slim chance of it working. that also meant conrad would have to come home on weekends to help take care of her. she knew conrad's life would be stressful after he left cousins.

"i really hope this treatment thing works. she wasn't gonna try it at first, but we wanted her to try." he sighed. carolina sat there and listened to him talk. she knew he had lots of thoughts to let go of. "i just don't wanna see my mom in the hospital again like before. i don't think i'd be able to." he said shaking his head.

carolina turned 90 degrees so she could see conrad. he had a tear rolling down his cheek. carolina reached up and wiped it away just like he did the night before. "you know i don't know what i'd do without you, carolina." he said "i think you kept me sane this whole summer. you know i love you right?" he said and she nodded.

"i love you, too, conrad." she said and they both smiled. conrad pulled her up from the sand and into his arms. he leaned down and his lips connected with hers. her hands held the side of his face and his arms were around her waist. when they pulled away he picked her up and spun her around. "conrad. i'm going to be dizzy." she laughed.

susannah fisher was able to see the two from the house. she smiled watching the happiness on the teens faces. laurel saw susannah and looked out the window too. "you didn't even have to lift a finger to get those two together." laurel said making susannah chuckle.

"i'm kind of happy i didn't have to do anything. they came together naturally. that is what's so perfect about them." susannah smiled watching conrad and carolina run around on the beach. "i knew it since they were kids. carolina fisher had a ring to it huh?" susannah smiled.

"you're getting ahead of yourself." laurel said making susannah laugh "i am aren't i?" she said handing laurel a cup of coffee.

" laurel said making susannah laugh "i am aren't i?" she said handing laurel a cup of coffee

the conklins were the first ones to leave the house. everyone said their goodbyes while the car was being loaded up. carolina stood by her brother as they watched them start to drive away. belly stuck her head out of the window. "see you soon!" belly said and everyone waved.

the harpers were the next to leave. she hugged jeremiah, then susannah. susannah handed her an envelope with her name beautifully written on it. "read it on the way home, okay?" susannah said and she nodded. she hugged susannah again before moving onto conrad.

"you're visiting me at school some weekends, right?" carolina asked wrapping her arms around him torso.

"yeah. i'll see you ask much as i can, i promise. text me when you get home okay?" he said and she nodded. "i love you." he said and she smiled "i love you more." she said leaning up to kiss him. carolina enjoyed this moment until daniel had to ruin it.

"agh! mom cover my eyes please!" daniel shouted.

the two pulled away "oh did you wanna see that again?" conrad asked daniel. he kissed her once more time and daniel groaned. "okay, see you soon," he said kissing the top of her head. carolina smiled and got into the car with daniel and her mom. as the drove away, she watched them in the rear view mirror getting smaller and smaller.

carolina carefully opened the envelope.

dear carolina,

this summer was one of my favorite summers i've had with all of you. although it may be different in the coming years, i hope you will still find joy in the others around you. i watched you grow and grow into such a wonderful young woman and am grateful that i was able to. i also slowly watched you and connie get closer and closer every summer. i knew this summer would be the one that would change you two for the better. to be completely honest with you, i was planning on playing a little game of cupid with you two. i am happy you two did it yourself and i hope your relationship lasts for infinity. you got him to smile and that is very hard to do nowadays. please take care of him and keep him happy! if he breaks you i will break him!!

i hope you and daniel can visit us soon at our home. you're welcome anytime!

love,
susannah