012, portraits

CAROLINA OPENED HER eyes as the sun and the smell of the ocean water came through conrad's window. in the mornings it was cold, so there was a blanket around the two of them. conrad was already up, running his thumb along her cheek. she looked up at him with her eyes half closed. "i could get used to this." conrad mumbled into her hair.

"shut up." she laughed pulling the cover over her face.

"oh i guess carolina isn't here. more good muffins for me." he said pulling her arms off his torso and getting out of bed. "no, conrad! come back!" carolina groaned from under the covers. conrad pulled the blanket off her body and laughed at the girl with tired eyes and messy hair.

conrad kneeled by the side of the bed and his face was hovering a few inches over her. carolina pulled the back of his neck down and connected their lips. "okay, breakfast time." she said getting out of bed.

the two of them headed down to the kitchen and grabbed a muffin. they sat on the counter while eating. tomorrow carolina had to do a volleyball tournament that susannah asked her to do. she still didn't ask anyone to be her partner.

"i know you have to go the ball already, but do you wanna be my volleyball partner tomorrow?" carolina asked. conrad chuckled "you really do things last minute, huh?" he said and she nodded.

"yeah, i do."

"i'll do it." he said.

"yes! thank you." carolina exclaimed.

she grabbed her plate off the counter and also took conrad's empty plate to the sink. she turned on the water and started to wash them. conrad stood up and walked over to the other side of the counter. he wrapped his arm around her waist and hugged her from behind. he leaned his head on top of hers and watched her clean the plates.

conrad wondered if they would be like this still in the future. they haven't talked about what they were. he never asked her to be his girlfriend yet, but he knew they are really good together. he thought about what cleveland said and he still didn't think college would break them apart or ruin things for the both of them. he wasn't good with himself, but he needed her right now. it felt like the right time for them to be together.

susannah walked in the kitchen and saw conrad and carolina. she wanted to play match maker, but she didn't have to lift a finger at all. "good morning kiddos." susannah smiled at the two. carolina was focused on the dishes, but looked up to smile at her.

"oh! carolina i need to do your portrait! can you do it today?" susannah asked and she nodded "yeah i can get ready right now. i'll be back in like half an hour." carolina responded looking back down at the dishes. susannah winked at conrad and he mouthed a "thank you" to her.

"okay, i'll be in the back."

 "so you and conrad? when did this happen?" susannah asked as they sat on the dock

"so you and conrad? when did this happen?" susannah asked as they sat on the dock. susannah had a canvas propped up on an easel. carolina was in a white dress that was similar to the one she wore on belly's birthday. carolina looked down to hide the smile on her face. "um fourth of july." she responded.

"that's wonderful! are you guys together?" susannah asked.

"not yet, but he is going to the deb ball with me." carolina said fixing her hair, pushing it behind her ear.

"that's great! at least you don't have to take your brother as your date." susannah laughed, while still being very focused on the canvas. "yeah, daniel didn't know what he was doing half of the time and paige was getting mad at us." carolina responded.

"you know i knew you were gonna end up with one of my boys, or steven." susannah smiled "i'm glad you found one of them. every since you started coming here, i knew it. they fought over who was gonna play with you all the time. but, i've always had a feeling it was gonna be you and him."

"really? why?"

"i don't know. maybe it's the fact that you were the same age or that you guys did like everything together. but, i think it's because i saw he was always kind to you. like he had a little soft spot in his heart for you all the time." susannah said making carolina smile.

conrad ran down the dock to where his mom and carolina were. "mom, can i steal her? we're going out." conrad asked.

susannah smiled "yeah, we can finish tomorrow. have fun!" she said while the boy pulled her up and ran away with his hand in hers. "not too much fun!" she said.

"mom!" conrad groaned. susannah smiled at sight of the two running away. she could hear carolina's laughter faintly in the distance as he pulled her with him.

"where are we going?" carolina laughed. he pulled her down the beach and stopped close to the beach area behind her house. there was a picnic blanket laid on the sand and had snacks in a basket. "what is this for?" carolina asked.

"for us." he said.

"did you make your mom do my portraits today so you could do this?" she asked. conrad looked down and smiled back up at her "maybe." he shyly said.

"why?"

"cause i wanted to ask you something." he said grabbing both of her hands. "carolina harper, will you be my girlfriend?" he asked.

"yes, i will be your girlfriend, conrad fisher." she smiled placing a kiss on his lips.

"i know we're going to college soon and starting new lives and it's gonna be stressful, but i want to make whatever this is work. i really like you carolina, i've always had. if we have to do long distance that is a risk i am willing to take." he said.

"it's a risk i'm willing to take, too." she smiled. he picked her up and spun her around in a circle.

·˚ 💌 AUTHORS NOTE
sorry this took so long! i had work and
now i got cov!d 👎🏻