011, the beach

CONRAD KNOCKED AT the harpers door later in the afternoon. they had planned to go to the beach after conrad was finished with cleveland. carolina peeked out the window and ran downstairs to get the door, but daniel beat her to it. he stuck his head out the door, which scared conrad because he expected carolina to answer it.

"conrad. hey, buddy!" daniel said pushing carolina back with his hand on her forehead. "what are you doing here?" daniel asked with a smile.

"dani—"

"uh carolina and i are going to hang out." conrad said "uh is she here?" daniel let her go, making her stumble forward. she peeked out from behind daniel and smiled. "sorry about him," carolina said kicking his shin when she walked past and walked out with conrad.

"ow!" daniel groaned in pain "carolina!"

they walked down to the beach and set up towels in the sand. the two laid down, letting the rays of sun hit their skin. "does he know?" conrad asked on his elbows, holding his upper body up. 

"no, but jeremiah does. he's the one who almost killed us with the firework." she said. conrad looked at her in disbelief, "that was him?"

"yeah." she laughed.

"he almost killed us."

"you wanna go in the water?" conrad asked, but before she could respond, he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder and ran towards the water. she held on to him for her life because she knew he was going to put her in the water. he was waist deep into the water "since your not letting go, we're both going in!" conrad said

she laughed "no conrad! don't—" he jumped into the water with her. when they came back up, they both started laughing. conrad wrapped his arm around her waist and she put her arms over his shoulders. he leaned down and connected their lips and carolina instantly kissed back. they stayed like that for a while, until conrad pulled away.
"if you couldn't tell already, i really like you carolina." he said resting his forehead on hers.

"i really like you, too, conrad." she smiled connecting their lips again "so do you wanna be my escort to the deb ball?" she asked.

he smiled "yes, i will." he said and she hugged him tighter.

after being in the water, they laid on the beach with sand sticking to their skin. carolina was reading a book and conrad was digging for shells in the sand by his towel. he was putting the shells he thought was pretty next to her. it was silent, but a nice, peaceful kind of quiet.

carolina loved that her and conrad could hangout and not say a single word to each other. they did talk a lot with each other about their lives, but this was nice for them too.

conrad had liked carolina since he was 13. they went swimming together one morning in the pool. they asked the boys, but steven, jeremiah, or daniel didn't want to go early in the morning. they'd rather sleep because they were playing video games till three in the morning. they swam all morning and splashed each other with water. that's when he knew he liked her. her laughter and smile was contagious. young conrad would be screaming if he knew what they were like now.

carolina liked conrad's cute dorky little glasses and his backwards hat he used to wear. he was nicer to carolina than the other boys, he's always been. he'd give her the last muffin even though the boys would often try to bribe him with their allowances. he didn't really want their allowance money. sometimes carolina felt bad taking it, so she'd split it and give half to belly.

he was always kind to her.

"do you wanna go back? we can rinse off outside and watch something in the living room." conrad asked and she nodded in agreement. they both packed up their things and walked to the back of the fishers house. they both stood in their bathing suits by the outdoor shower. the fishers used it to take sand off of them or to wash surfboards.

"i'm gonna give you a warning, the water is really cold." conrad said turning on the water. carolina stood in the water and rinsed off. the cold water wasn't too bad after you got used to it. she got out and dried off her hair and body. she wrapped a towel around her waist while conrad rinsed off the sand.

after they both were in dry clothes, they were cuddled up on the couch watching a movie. they were watching twilight eclipse. the two were starting to doze off during the movie. they were both tired from the beach and from being in the sun for so long.

carolina was sleeping and conrad was up still so he picked her up and carried her to his room. he laid down with her on him. conrad had carolina on his chest, with his arms wrapped around her waist. carolina's head was tucked into conrad's neck. conrad kissed her head and fell asleep. for the past couple of nights, he wasn't able to sleep. he knew something he couldn't tell anyone, but it was killing him inside.

·˚ 💌 AUTHORS NOTE
kinda short chapter
unedited