009, 4th of july

THE FOURTH OF july was a big event at the fishers house. the dads came over just for the party. this year, carolina's dad wasn't coming because her mom couldn't stand him at the moment. carolina really wanted him to come this year, but her mom said he wasn't gonna come at all.

carolina's mom loved helping susannah decorate the house and the outdoor area. katy harper was an interior designer, so of course she loved to help. carolina's dad usually helped barbecue and helped the kids with fireworks when they were younger.

this year belly had some friends coming over and her dad's girlfriend was coming. she heard from steven was young, very young. apparently she was like in grad school or something. either way, carolina was still really excited to meet her.

carolina stood on the dock of the fishers house and looked out over the lake. everyone was there, but it didn't feel the same.

"you're missing all the fun." conrad said from behind her. she jumped and held her hand to her chest.

"jesus, conrad you can't do that to me." she said and he laughed "sorry, i thought you heard me walking here. i guess i didn't make enough creaking noises with the wood. what's up? you okay?" he asked.

"i'm just upset my dad is not here this year."

"i know what will cheer you up. belly made these pomegranate margaritas and in the good blender. they're amazing you have to try them. everyone is at the beach, come on you gotta have some fun this year." he said grabbing her hand and pulling her with him to the beach.

something about the way conrad grabbed her hand made her heart flutter. she smiled and followed him to the beach where all the teens were. shayla, daniel, steven, and gigi were already there. they sat next to each other on the beach chairs and started talking to everyone.

belly skipped down the beach with a pitcher and a margarita glass. "may i present, the belly special." she said setting down the pitcher. the drink was bright red and it almost matched the pattern on belly's dress.

"we saved you the inflatable unicorn." gigi said pointing to the inflatable next to her. belly thanked her and sat down in it.

"hey guys!" jeremiah shouted from behind them "hey, check out who i found!" he said jogging with cameron next to him. they all welcomed cameron and he sat with belly in the inflatable unicorn.

conrad poured the two of them a drink. conrad quickly tried to drink it, while carolina slowly sipped it. "jesus conrad this isn't a race." she said still sipping on the drink.

"save some for the rest of us, please." jeremiah said and belly laughed "okay, wait wait wait, but what if it was a race?" she asked "i mean isn't that—isn't that the premise of like every drinking game?"

"you wanna play a drinking game?" gigi asked.

"why not? it's the fourth of july! right?" belly shouted. everyone shouted in agreement.

after a while of drinking, the girls sat at the dock. "belly, by the way, i love that dress." shayla said and belly smiled "really? thanks! taylor go it for me, actually."

"taylor has great taste." shayla smiled.

"yeah i know, right? she totally does. oh my god, you know what? you and taylor are like twins because you're both mega-fashiony. and you're both like, baddies and you both like the same summer boys, which is..." belly laughed taking another sip of her drink.