7

DRAKE.

Two knocks on the door of my office at noon is what usually reminds me that it's already time for lunch. It's my cousin, Lea, and her routine—which is reminding me to eat lunch—every single day.

The door opens and she enters, immediately placing her hands on her waist while she gives me a lazy look. I mean if I was her, I'd be annoyed of myself, too.

"Lunch, kuya Drake." She said. I just gave her a smile as I place my chin on top of my hand.

Lea then rolled her eyes before walking towards me. "'Di mo 'ko madadaan sa ganyan ha. Kumain ka nang maayos. You have to–"

"But I still have work to do. I have to finish my patients' records.

"Kuya Drake." There was warning in her voice.

But instead, I stood up, chuckling lightheartedly, while making my way towards Lea. I gave her a tight hug—which I do when I want to give her assurance—and placed a soft kiss on top of her head. When I pulled away, she's already glaring at me.

I let out a chuckle, "What?" I asked.

"You're gonna get sick kung ipagpapatuloy mo 'yan. You barely get enough rest and you barely eat on time. Actually, I don't think you've ever eaten on time since that incident two weeks ago. And you haven't gone back to your condo for four days."

"Hindi ako magkakasakit, okay? I'm the older doctor between the two of us. Alam ko kung anong ginagawa ko. Tatapusin ko lang lahat ng records then I can get back to my routines. Okay na ba, Doc Lea?" Lea glared at me again before finally smiling.

"You better fix your schedule soon. I-aadmit talaga kita kaagad dito sa ospital kapag nalaman kong may sakit ka. Kahit lagnat lang– no, wait– kahit sipon lang!" I laughed at what she said.

Siraulong 'to, tinakot pa 'ko.

"Sige na, maglunch ka na. I'll be fine. You won't have to admit me."

She playfully hit my arm before finally agreeing to leave my office so she could eat lunch.

It was already two in the afternoon when I finally finished fixing my patients' records. I did some rounds just to check in on some of them until I reached the room of the man who was shot two weeks ago.

He's about to be discharged today.

"Good afternoon po. Kamusta po pakiramdam niyo?" I asked when I entered his room.

He smiled at me, "Mabuti naman po, doc. Excited na po makalabas." He said, making me smile as well.

"That's good. Makakalabas ka na po ngayong araw."

The nurse that came along with me then started removing his suero.

"Tutulungan po namin kayong makahanap ng matutuluyan at ng maayos na trabaho, 'wag po kayong mag-alala." The patient then suddenly started crying after I said that.

"Maraming Salamat po, Doc Rylie. Utang ko po sa inyo ang buhay ko. Napakabait niyo po. Salamat... salamat po talaga." I smiled while patting his back.

"Walang anuman po. Trabaho ko po ito at nangako akong maglilingkod sa mga naghihirap kaya tutuparin ko po ang pangako ko."

He smiled again and my heart felt warm.

Ito ang pangakong hinding-hindi matutumbasan ng kahit na anong halaga ng salapi.

Ang pangako kong maglingkod sa bayan at tulungan ang mga nasa laylayan.