20

For a moment there, Drake saw a glimpse of hope. That maybe, just maybe, he and Simon can actually stay together. That neither of them has to let the other go.

But what if they were really destined to part?

And as soon as Drake remembers the state he is in and the situation that Simon is only yet to know, he knew in his heart and in his mind that they can't be together.

"Don't..." Drake weakly said. His voice almost sounded like a whisper. Simon immediately pulled away, looking at Drake with watery eyes.

"You have to go home, Sai."

"Why? Drake, I can stay." Although it is obvious that both of them are hurting, Simon's face suddenly lit up when he remembered what he was meaning to tell Drake.

"Listen, may nalaman ako. Thousands of years ago, there was also another specimen from another planet na napadpad dito sa Earth. She was able to live here on Earth for a hundred years too and lost her powers after she decided to stay. She lived normally and grew old, like she was human."

Drake's eyebrows furrowed. "Why did she stay? Bakit hindi nalang siya umuwi? This is not her home after all."

Simon smiled a bit before bringing Drake's hand to his lips. He plants a gentle kiss on his knuckles before locking stares with Drake once again.

"For love." His eyes sparkle as he says that while looking intently at the man in front of him.

"I can stay for love, Drake. Just say you want me to stay and I will. No doubts, no second thoughts, no regrets. Dito lang ako, basta sabihin mong dito lang ako."

------

Drake thought that he had already thought this through but having this conversation with Simon is actually harder than he expected.

But he has to know, right?

"Simon... hindi pwede..."

"Why? Iniisip mo ba kung kakayanin ko? Drake, kaya ko. Kaya kong manatili dito, para sa'yo."

"Hindi naman sa ganun. I just..."

"What, Drake?"

A moment of silence followed after as Drake continues to contemplate what he should tell Simon.

"Please don't read my mind, Sai."

"I'm not. I swear, I'm not. Just tell me what's wrong, Drake. I need to hear it from you."

Drake sighs heavily before looking at Simon's eyes. Each of them mirrors the other's emotions.

There was pain, love, guilt, and longing.

But even with all these emotions, Drake blurts out the words that Simon never expected to hear.

"Just leave, Simon. We can't be together." Drake blurted out.

Simon blinks, still confused as to why Drake was being like this.

He can feel that something's not right and Drake's not being completely honest with him at the moment. But he didn't want to read the other's mind since he wants to hear it from him.

"What's wrong, love?" And there goes Simon's little endearment once again, making Drake's heart flutter a little.

But he tries not to react to it. He had to keep a steady face, to make Simon realize that he has to go home.

He can't stay because none of it will be worth it, was all that Drake could think of.

"You don't belong here, Simon. Hindi ito ang mundo mo kaya umalis ka na." Drake finally said with a blank face before leaving Simon's apartment.

----------------------

SIMON.

It's been about a week since the last time Drake and I talked in my apartment and since then, I haven't heard anything from him. He also moved out of his unit the next morning and I have no idea where he went.

He also did block my number and twitter account and now, I don't have any forms of communication with him anymore.

"Why don't you just search for his voice again? Madali lang naman sa'yo 'yun 'di ba?" Lee asks.

We're currently hanging out at いい食べ物 (Ī tabemono), our favorite 100-year-old Japanese restaurant.

I shook my head in response. "I promised myself not to do that anymore unless Drake calls out my name."

"Why'd you stop?"

"That night... when I saved Drake in his apartment, I rushed him to the hospital and he stayed unconscious for days. I stopped listening to him when we're away from each other since then kasi natatakot akong malaman kung may masamang nangyari sa kanya."

I sighed, preventing the tears from falling from my eyes. "I never found out the real reason why Drake had to stay at the hospital even after he woke up and I don't have any idea kung okay na siya ngayon and what happened to him that night."

My tears suddenly started running down my cheeks and before I knew it, I was already sobbing.

"I... I could still hear his screams in my head... I can still remember how pained he was and how weak he looked like before he lost his consciousness. I-it was agonizing..." Lee gently taps my back to comfort me.

"I understand na nahihirapan ka, Lucas, but this won't work like this kung hindi kayo magkakausap ulit ni Drake. Maybe you need to know the truth about him, too. Whatever that is and how painful it may be, you have to know."

"Paano?" I looked at him. "Where do I start?"

He gave me a small smile before saying, "Start by searching for his voice."