8

It's been a day since Drake went to Davao and entrusted his unit to his neighbor, Simon, who guards it off diligently. And on some moments during the day, Simon closes his eyes, trying to search for Drake's voice—which he finds totally unexplainable.

He shouldn't be looking for Drake's voice but for some reason, he wants to.

He wants to hear him.

"You look agitated." Lee said when he saw Simon sitting on his couch with his eyes closed.

"Don't disturb me. I'm meditating."

Lee chuckled before sitting across Simon on the other couch.

"Meditations are supposed to be relaxing but why do you look so stressed?"

"It's nothing."

"You know you can tell me, Lucas."

"Don't call me–"

"Lucas." Lee said firmly, making Simon sigh and open his eyes slowly.

"What seems to be the problem here? Sabihin mo na, baka makatulong ako."

Simon sighed again before leaning back on the couch. "I'm searching for someone's voice."

"Whose voice?"

"It doesn't matter. Hindi ko rin naman alam kung bakit hinahanap ko yung boses niya eh."

"Nasaan ba siya?"

"Davao."

Lee's eyebrows furrowed upon hearing that. "Your subject is only in Davao yet you can't search for their voice. I mean, hundred years ago, you can still search for people's voices from other countries. Anong nangyari, Lucas?"

Simon flushed his face in his hands before sighing deeply. "I don't know. Baka pagod lang ako."

"What if your powers are slowly depleting? It makes sense, though. Ilang daang taon ka na rin naman dito. What if your capabilities are now getting affected? What if you're somehow already becoming human-like?"

Simon suddenly stood up, feeling a little nervous. "No, Lee, don't say that. Pagod lang siguro ako. Or maybe I just need to practice since medyo matagal na rin naman nung huli kong ginawa 'to."

He walked away. "I'll be in my study." And went to his study room by the end of the hall.

He walked down a flight of stairs, bringing some books to float in the air. The room had a high ceiling where Simon stores thousands of books he had collected over millenniums.

He took his journal before sitting by his desk at the middle of the room and started writing.

The Last Five Months on Earth.

-----

SIMON.

"Oh shit. Shit. Shit. Shit– No."

I panicked after I accidentally tapped on the send button, sending my message immediately.

Bakit ba kasi ako tumambay sa convo namin?! Ayan tuloy!

I checked on the conversation again, seeing that Drake hasn't read it yet. I closed my eyes and when I opened it, everything stopped moving. Not a single movement can be seen and not a single sound can be heard.

I stopped the time.

I closed my eyes again, balling my fists and twisting either of them to different directions. Blue orbs started surrounding it in a second but then they faded away in an instant.