18

DRAKE.

"Did I really say that?" I asked.

My friends were telling me about that time I told them Simon and I don't talk much to each other.

I don't really recall saying that but they said I did.

"Oo, bro. Kaya nga nagulat kami nung sinabi mo 'yun kasi ang alam nga namin nagkakamabutihan kayo. Pero mas nagulat naman kami nung nakita namin kayong magkatabi dito sa bed kanina." Hans explained thoroughly and Cedric and Ezekiel agreed.

Simon went out for a bit, saying he needs to make a phone call, so the group of friends immediately used that time to talk.

"Eto, Drake ha. Hindi ko alam kung anong rason mo or kung may rason ka ba talaga but if may namamagitan naman sa inyo ni Simon, hindi mo naman kailangang itago sa'min. I mean, he looks like a good guy and–"

"Guys, w-wait. Wait lang." Drake cuts Cedric off, momentarily closing his eyes in confusion.

"I'm not lying. First of all, there's really nothing going on between Sai and I. I mean, I do feel something deep for him but I don't even know what to call us at this point. Second, I really don't recall saying na hindi kami nag-uusap because we really do talk and he has sent me food a couple of times already."

"Ayan! That's what Lea told us too. Kaya nga naguluhan kami nung sinabi mong– Ah, basta!" Cedric runs his hand through his hair in frustration and confusion.

Just then, Simon enters the room and they all act as if nothing happened.

He approaches Drake and gently takes his hand.

"Tara, punta tayong rooftop." Simon suddenly invites him with a smile and Drake nods in response.

--------

SIMON.

Drake and I went up to the hospital's rooftop to get some fresh air. I remembered he told me that there's a nice garden up there and I wanted to see it for myself.

Turns out, it really looks nice.

The garden is enclosed in a greenhouse to keep the plants safe and fresh always where designated staff can look after them.

It can also be of great help to relax the patients, especially the ones dealing with a lot of things emotionally.

I took Drake's hand and encircled his arm around my arm.

"Nagmumukha naman akong clingy nito." He mutters, making me chuckle.

"You do look like someone who's very clingy."

"Can I be clingy with you, then?" Drake asks, catching me off guard.

I cleared my throat before looking at him with a smile. "Of course."

He smiled even wider and pulled me closer by my arm. We walked further into the rooftop and Drake has this soft smile plastered on his lips.

... And all I could think of is how I am going to break his heart tonight.

I took him up here because I plan on telling him everything. The whole truth about myself, all of it, I want him to know.

I only have two months left on Earth and I don't want to just leave without being able to be honest with the man that I love.

And if he is going to give his love to someone like me, he deserves to know the truth first.

I just hope he believes me. This will be my first and last shot.

-------

When Drake comes back to his hospital room, his friends, Lea, Stephen, and his doctor are all waiting for him.

Their faces all look weary and it alarms Drake.

What's wrong? He thought.

His doctor stands to the side while his friends and cousin all give him hugs.

"Doc Rylie, take a seat, please." Dr. Guzman says and gestures to Drake's bed.

"What's wrong?" Drake finally manages to ask.

Cedric, who was sitting beside him, takes his hand and gently holds him while Dr. Guzman hands Drake a few papers.

"These are your results."

The other quickly scans them before returning his gaze to Guzman.

"I'm sorry but can't you just summarize this to me? This is quite a lot."

Guzman sighs.

"This is a lot to take in, Drake. We found a tumor in your brain."

Drake's mouth fell open and his breath hitches up a bit. His hands and feet turn cold as his blood flushes down his body.

No. No, this can't be happening. He thought to himself.

"W-What..." He whispers, trying to form words and collect his thoughts but everything around him seems scattered at the moment.

Drake takes a deep breath when he starts tearing up. He covers his mouth as he starts to sob. His friends immediately came up to console him.

This can't be happening. This isn't real.

His vision becomes blurry and his hearing becomes muffled as the intensity of that information started to dawn upon him.