Chapter 16

I stood alone in the middle of the dark road.

  The only source of light in this place was the light coming from the full moon, casting a glow on the trees surrounding me, leaving shadows in it's wake.

I looked back, the dirt road was too dark, just one path that was surrounded by small grasses and shrubs. The crickets were so loud, it was almost like they sensed danger and were warning me about it. Plus, I was too scared to turn back when I don't even know how I got here in the first place.

I took a step forward, cringing at the sloshing sound I heard when my shoe made contact with the mud. My shoes were nothing close to white, almost like I have been running on the mud for hours. My clothes were stained with dirt and I don't even know how it happened.
I looked up and continued walking down the road, hoping to find a door to leave this place. If this is one of my dreams, I really don't want to know what my subconscious wants to show me. I just want to get out of OASIS and forget this place ever existed.

I didn't take more than 5 steps when I heard the sound of a vehicle approaching. I looked back and sure enough, a vehicle was coming close to where I was but I couldn't see the type of vehicle because the light from the headlights were too bright for my eyes. I used one hand to shield my eyes and the other to wave down the vehicle.

It got closer and closer and closer until it passed me like the driver didn't see waving frantically at the vehicle. The driver had the nerve to splash me dirt water as he passed.

"Heyy!! Didn't you see me? Wait up!" I screamed as I ran after the vehicle. The crickets chirped even louder as I ran but I didn't care, my source of refuge is literally running away from me. I'd be stupid to not chase it.

I ran after the black van, my determination and fear being my source of strength. My legs felt really weary but I pushed myself and ran on.

I don't know how long I ran, but I chased the van until I saw a big warehouse up ahead. I heaved a huge sigh of relief, I could go to the warehouse, hopefully see some people and they'll get me out of this place. Dream or not, I wanna leave.

I stopped running to catch my breath. "Stupid drivers of nowadays! Did he have to splash water on me! Did he!! Such stupid drivers and their stupid...." I  stopped talking when the back door opened. I waited for some time and when nothing happened, I thought they opened the door for me to go in. So I gathered my strength and ran.

"Oh! Thank God. Sweet Jesus I love you. Thank you for stopping for me sir, I really appreciate it. You have no idea how far I ran to get he..." I stopped in my tracks when I saw two heavily armed soldiers coming down from the van. They both held huge guns and stood still like they were guarding whoever wanted to come out of the van.

Immediately, I ran to one of the trees nearby and hid myself, thanking God that I wasn't noticed by them and they ignored me when I tried to stop them. After saying a silent prayer, I popped my head out to see what was happening in the van.

And then I saw it.

Dr Susan came down from the van and stretched her hands inside, like she was expecting something.

A stretcher was wheeled out and Dr Susan carried it down. I don't know who was on the bed because the person was covered with a blue sheet. Many pints of liquids were hung on a pole and their pipes were connected to the person who laid on the bed.

I took a small step forward to get a better look at what was going on but ended up tripping on one huge root from the tree I was hiding. I screamed as I fell over, my clothes becoming dirtier than before and the dirt getting into my hair. I stood up and stopped when I noticed something. No one heard me when I screamed. I looked at the warehouse and sure enough, they weren't even aware I was with them. Weighing my odds, I screamed again to see they would notice me but nothing happened. They were wheeling the patient inside the warehouse.