Chapter 17

I looked at Rissa and Caleb, my eyes asking the questions my mouth couldn't. They stared back at me, either they didn't get my message or they just had no answer for me.

"Wow!" Debby said, still squatting. "You look horrible. I mean, looking at you, one will think you're a cool girl, not knowing you're a freak underneath all this" Debby said, looking at me with disdain. Her long white hair covered most of her face as she squatted down to talk to me, leaving her deep blue eyes and her pale lips on display to scorn me.

I wanted to talk back at her but I was too shocked to do anything. My mind was traveling a mile an hour. If this can happen to me, it means I'm in need of serious help and going home will be the last thing on my to do list. A small crowd gathered around the four of us watching as Debby made fun of me. Some laughed, some looked confused and eager to watch something unfold while some looked at me with pity.

"I mean." She stood up, walking around me "I get we're all kinds of freaks in this place but you my dear are on another level. How does someone just start roaming around the place, rolling yourself in dirt and screaming for her! Who does that? Either you were a freak before you came in here or this place messed you up." She snorted as she knelt back down. Coming close to me, she froze her hands and the whole crowd gasped.

"Someone stop her! She's going to punch her!" Someone shouted.

"Damn, I thought there would be no drama in this place but look at life surprising me." Another said.

"Relax guys, I'm not going to punch her or anything." Debby said smirking at me. She used her frozen hands to drag my hair back. "I think she's in shock. Being a freak and being called out on it must have taken a toll on her."
It's true. I think I was in shock, but not because of being called a freak, obviously.

She pulled my hair harder and brought her face close to mine, her long hair forming a curtain around us and tickling my face. "You better not try anything stupid here. I saw you the day you came out of the testing room. I might not know what your ability is but I swear to God, I'm ready to freeze your brains off. There should be a separate place for skunks like you. I can make it happen, don't test me" she whispered and stood up, pushing my head back and letting water falling from her frozen hand onto my face.

"Debby, it's enough. Let's just go." Rissa said.

I looked up at Rissa. She looked concerned, her eyebrows furrowed and a small frown on her face. Caleb on the other hand had no concern with whatever was going on with me, he looked at Debby with awe. Like he was expecting her to act out on me.

Rose, can you hear me?

I think you're in shock.

Stand up and walk towards me slowly, we can go to the testing room and get you cleaned up and checked on.

I'm sorry for Debby's attitude.

   I stood up shakily, mostly because I was feeling cold and my legs were hurting from how I landed when I was thrown across the room. Rissa had her hands outstretched for me, waiting for me to come to her so she take me to the testing room.

I slowly walked towards them and when I got close to them, I asked them the question that has been bugging my mind. "Did you two do this?" I pointed to Rissa and Caleb. They looked at each other and back at me. Their expressions not giving away anything.

"Childish much?" Debby scoffed from behind me.

"Rose, I know you have a lot of questions but we need to get you checked, I think you hit your head hard." Rissa said, her hands still out for me.

"Answer me! Please" I screamed at them, my voice cracking at the end. Even Debby shook before glaring at me and stepping back, muttering something about me being a freak to the guy who stood next to her. I turned my attention to Rissa and Caleb "You guys are the only ones I know who are capable of doing this to me." I turned to Rissa "Did he put you up this? Or was it the other way around?"