Happy Families

I couldn't help but count down the days until Owen would be here, not in a good way. The week went by in the blink of an eye. I still haven't had the heart to tell Luke. But now I've got my new car, which of course Luke helped me pick, I don't need Luke to taxi me everywhere, infact he let's me taxi him around.

I officially signed my Sharks contract, there's no running back now. They announced it over their social media as well, so it was definitely no secret. Even my Irish team coach text me congratulations and she keeps apologising she didn't listen, Andy did the honours of telling her what happened. She's offered me to go over and help coach them too, she wants me back on the team post baby. But who knows what will happen. I put off thinking of the future as much as I can.

Mum has been texting me a lot lately, hoping I'm ok and I should go round, but I'm proving I can do this without them. Am I being too stubborn? Conor had text me once congratulating me on the new job, but that was it. I didn't bother replying.

Me and Luke grew closer then ever, but we still kept boundaries, even though we broke those boundaries a long time ago. Luke is everything I ever dreamt of, but I still have the worry that I've forced him into something, he constantly reassures me that's not it and he wants to do this but we are both still young and he's got his whole career ahead of him.

He tried to creep out the house at 6am this morning, it's an away day for him. But Elton definitely wasn't quiet, he was too excited for his play day. I could hear his footsteps on the laminate as he jumped around. Luke was disappointed I couldn't go with him as coaching was very full on and I was needed at training ready for our game next week against Saracen ladies, which of course was an away game.

Just before I got to training Luke rang me to say he got there ok and they're off to do their warm ups. Of course I got the daily lecture of taking it easy, which included me saying "yes Luke" "of course Luke" then him saying "I'm just looking out for you and our baby"  to think in five months there will be a mini me.

As soon as I got off the phone to Luke, he who shall not be named text. I'll be in Manchester by 5, early kick off. I'll text you when I'm there. I suddenly felt sick. "You alright Erin?" "Not bad you?" My automated response. I followed Katy to where the girls were. "If you're not feeling well, you can go home. It's not an issue" I looked at Katy who looked genuinely concerned, I shook my head and started passing the balls for the drill.

The team were great, majority of them were more experienced than me but no one ever questioned my coaching tactics. Somehow I winged my way through it. Tactics and normal training. Its going to be a long day.

Training finished at 4, I had an hour to look presentable. But do I really care? No. I'll be home about 8/9, Ruby has got Elton for the night. Can't wait to be home. Hope training went better than my game 🙄. I'm only guessing they've lost, I quickly text Luke back: you can tell me all about it over dinner, I'll sort it out.

I don't plan on seeing Owen for long, let him say his piece and then leave. But who knows if it will be that easy. Right on queue The drive was better than I thought! Meet me at the Honey Bee, the reviews of the food are good.

Food? Is he serious? Great, it's a ten minute drive from here. No time to prepare myself for what I've got to say. I took a quick look in the mirror and rushed out the door. Just want this over and done with.

To be fair this place looked really nice and it's quite an easy drive. I could see Owen stood outside the front, playing with his phone then putting it in his pocket then pulling it out again. The biggest pit formed in my stomach. I shouldn't even be here.  Are you ok? Thought you'd be here by now. This guy is impatient.

"Just remember no matter what, I will never leave you" I whispered to the little bump and got out the car. I quickly fixed my hair in my car window and walked, very slowly, over to where Owen was.

"I didn't think you'd show up" he rubbed the back of his neck and looked very guilty. "I'm here now" I shrugged as he started to lead me inside to a very secluded table in the furthest corner in the room.

"So how are you?" I nearly laughed at him. "That's where we are starting?" His eyes widened. I dont understand why he's being so awkward. "Owen, you didn't invite me here for small talk. What do you want?" I've had enough of the games.

"I brought my baby some stuff and Chloe insisted on buying you a present as well" he lifted a bag onto the table. "This is from Chloe" Owen looked nervous but I couldnt help but smile at the two baby grows that read Daddy's future rugby buddy and born to play rugby like Daddy.

"I take it she still thinks the baby is Luke's" Owen nodded. "She also got matching ones and is insisting we meet up once the babies are born" I shook my head. "Not going to happen, what happens if both babies look like you? Do you really think we can all play big happy families?"  Suddenly he had nothing to say and placed a bigger bag on the table.

I really hope this baby looks like me.