Ch.2: Lucky Spark that started a Fyre

Arriving home, it's still rather early in the evening; with my blurred vision, I stumble out of the car like a newborn doe. "I'll carry you to your room." My dad tries to make his deep voice soft, as he scoops me from the back seat.

Mother shuffled to swoosh open the door for us, she sniffled before she spoke, " Ohhh sweety," She whimpered, running her hands through my thick locks, "Get some rest my dear Lyra." Her eyes, like mine, were swollen red from crying the whole way home; she grabbed a bag or two from the car and followed in behind us.

Father's rough, sandpaper hands were comforting. He drops me onto my bed, tucking me which stirred me from my hardly conscious state,

"I-I tried, dad. I-" Getting choked on my own words, I pull the covers over my head to hide my face.

"I'm proud of you Lyra. You saved the day!" He gives me a half smile.

"But, I-"

"Shhh. You heard your mother, get some rest." Making a hasty exit, he softly shuts the door behind him. I still hid, even alone, like I was hiding from the disappointment of the great wizards before me. Using my pillow to smother my wailing noises,

I lied so effortlessly. This was all my fault. I was just in the way. My own thoughts and self-disappointment tearing me apart. A sleepless night, battling with the shame my family would face if people found out what actually happened down there.

The weekend went by in a daze, I hardly even noticed anything going on around me until early Sunday morning. Having hardly moved a muscle for days, I slowly came to my senses; but the same thoughts still lurked, haunting me.

"Mom!" Teardrops well in my eyes. "Mom!" I cry out again. Mother teleports into my room leaving a sparse of flames.

"Oh my poor baby! Honey..." She covers her mouth with her hand. "I'll call a doctor right away." She blips back down stairs. "Ashen, Ashen. My baby needs a doctor here. NOW! She-" I can hear my mom's persistent demands from my room.

The doctor arrived first thing, as it was still only six in the morning.

"Alright! You're all patched up! Very brave girl ya got Mr. LyFyre, sir." Doctor rapidly shakes his head.

"Thanks Doc." Father pulls me up from the couch by one leg. "Hmm. I have a feeling you'll be seeing this one a lot." Dropping me back down.

"Ow." Holding my sides.

Doc flashes his wand, packing up his equipment. "Well then LyFyres.. I'm just a call away." Doc pushes up his glasses.

"I think I'll be just fine, the solitariness of my own room heals all wounds." Slamming both feet firmly on the ground; it didn't take long before I crumple back down.

"Okay Lyra, however. You've got a broken rib and bruised sternum; as well as those vicious bruises everywhere. Just take it easy for a few weeks, with school starting soon. We want you to be as healthy as possible." Doc pulls out a giant lollipop and sets it in my hands.

"I can't accept this lollipop," I immediately covered my mouth in horror at what I just blurted out. My dad and the doctor respond with concerned looks. "I- I cried when I got hurt. Ya know, like a baby." I awkwardly chuckle, trying to hide my nervousness, slowly placing the lollipop on the coffee table.

"Sure you can! My daughter is a hero, a real LyFyre!" Ashen boasts at the doctor.

"Well yeah. That's true and all, but that lollipop is for the check-up. Not whatever else you're speaking of. I'll be off now." The Doctor was rather short and unkempt, his voice was tender and light; perfect for his occupation.