Ch.31: Deeply rooted Vengeance

My body instinctively shoots to its feet in shock, I try to shout, but I can't muster up the strength to call to them. I stare into the eyes of my Father and brother; the wrenching of my heart, and a face that is full of hurt and sorrow suddenly takes a paradigm shift. My expression goes deadpan as I continue to stare at the scene before me to which my own flesh and blood scorned me, abandoned and already replaced me as I still fought to survive in the Void. It's as if the wound that shredded itself anew in my heart had already healed shut, like some sort of super rejuvenation, only emotionally.

They proceed to laugh and cheer, patting Pho on the back and congratulate her. Like the other students and I are completely invisible, no one even questions why I'm not up there with my family.

It might seem messed up and hurtful, but it's all so typical. The familiar feeling of being shunned, shoved in a corner to be unseen and unheard, creeps up on me. I'm only angry that the truth is being so blatantly shoved in my face, how could I have been so stupid, so numb back then. I shake my head, slowly sitting back down, humiliated.

"I'm sorry Lyra," Owen whispers empathetically, throwing his arm around my shoulder, and hugging me close, shocking me back to my senses. "LyFyre, don't let this be the re– Lyra," His voice cracks with worry. Owen looks up at me in awe as I contain my anger and hold back my amber flames, clutching my wand, wanting more than anything to combust. He knows there isn't anything he can say to help me right now. "I won't tell you how you should feel. Damn! This must feel so much worse than if they had died.

Owen, now holding onto my cloak, as if he's making sure I don't rush down there to do anything rash. "Lyra, you mustn't let your emotions get the best of you, not here." He whispers tensely, he can sense a Dark Aurora about me. I drown in their celebration and cheer, the pain that once swelled within me becoming gasoline to my raging flame; a source of power. I think I finally fully understand what Roy meant when he said the power from within.

I can feel Owen's hands trembling as he clutches me tight, "If you're going to let this be your Antagonistic roots, what does that make me and Neveah?" He asks shakily, his words seeming to fade in and out of my ears as I watch the scene before me. I chuckle mechanically, "Tag? No ones playing tag, but if we were-erm?"

"No Lyra, you're going down a path of darkness, just know, I will never leave your side again. I can't, no matter what suicidal hell we face. I can't." He says clutching tighter, drawing himself closer to me.

"But why?" I mutter. "You owe me nothing." I don't want even a little bit of his pity.

"I made a promise! I-I- I just can't! If we live to see the walls of the school again," Forgiving Owen seems rather easy, it's the least I can do, although he was a bit of a jerk.

"Then I guess that makes you my-erm..um... a compass, no that's not right. What is it...accomplice!" I force out.

"Ironically, that'll be correct when we're behind bars." Owen sighs.

"MY Dearest Pho, would you like the honors of the first Familiar Creature Summons?" My father asks, silence fell upon the crowd as they suspensefully waited for her reply.

"Oui!" Pho says passionately.

"Then make your way over to the summoning tree and feel your soul calling to the other side. It'll reveal a reflection of your true self, a partner that's true to you through and through." Ashen says with vigor, hurlinging one fist into the air, along with Alecinder who's been gloating, accrediting Phos success partially to himself.

"Tch, you better not summon no weak shit!" Alec says jokingly as he jabs her in the side as she walks by.

"Arrête! I won't! There's like a ninety-one point four percent chance that I'm going to summon something within the A tier, and seventy-five point three percent chance of-" Adjusting the eyepatch on her left eye.