Ch.32: The 2nd lucky spark that lit a Fyre

Graduation is held at the end of the Final Exam, therefore, these last two weeks have been filled with practice runs of how we will be lined up, miscellaneous assignments, and last minute cram sessions. Cramped together with the rest of the students in this dreaded heat is making things all the more vexing.

I sit alone at the lunch table, stuffing my face in anger. Across the way, Moose sits alone, still looking like death himself. Baby Reaper still faithfully follows him everywhere he goes; like his shadow. I continue to stare and am surprised when I watch Baby Reaper take a small skull lollipop from its coffin.

It's rather cute actually, however, I think Moose may be driving himself insane, finding a million and one ways to try and rid himself of that Familiar. I continue to eat like an animal, I choke on my food as Moose looks up and catches me staring. I quickly look away, trying to dislodge my food without embarrassing myself.

"Humph, unlike Neveah, he has something to reallyyyy be mad at me for. Hm, I haven't seen Neveah in days!" I angrily talk to myself between bites of food, "All mad at me, Tch, for noooo freakin reason, for days all because of that stupid bir–"

"Lyra!" Neveah slams down next to me at the lunch table, "I've been looking all over for you, HERE." She says angrily, shoving my tiny bird into my hands, "It can't be far from its owner for too long, I think it's sick." She backs up as the tiny bird weakly coughs up powder, "Yuuccc- I also might be allergic to it. My eyes are all POOFED up, and I have an important mission!" She cringes.

"Mission?" I ask.

"SOLO mission," She clarifies, "I have to go outside the outerzone-"

"What?" I yelp, turning my body completely toward her, "Whyyyyy are you saying that so casually? That's a suic-" Nev muffles my mouth.

"Wizards sneak in and out all the time Lyra, don't be so superficial to everything these people tell you." She says calmly, "I'll be okay, you better not let that bird die, and- and I'm still pissed at you!" She remains seated next to me, stealing the sweetest thing she could find off my tray.

"YOOO! C'MERE CHUMP!" A bunch of rowdy guys are going around table to table only to pick on people and overall just be obnoxious. The hardest part of the end of the year isn't the final, but the irresistible urge to let the eagerness of summer vacation consume you via laziness, going into vacation mode, completely burnt out, etc.  

Nev stands up, "I'm outta here, I dooo not want to get caught in the clownery." She says, stealing more of my food on the way out. The bunch continues to cause a ruckus, I try my best to ignore them, still scarfing away at my food.

A giant with long hair that reaches to his shoulder, "Heyyyy BUCKO! You've been rockin this wholeeee year man, great job, I'm not even sure how a RUNT like you survived eh?"  The disgruntled voice slams someone to the ground, "Now be a good little helper and hand over what little tickets you have." The giant of a bully hovers over a smaller kid. I ignore the commotion and continue to wolf down my food, keeping my head low.

"I-I-I don't have much this time..." The small voice says.

"OH BOO-HOO! You're a little cry baby WITCH!! GIMME THOSE!" He examines the tickets closely, "Tch, pathetic." The giant is surrounded by his posse and a full cafeteria of bystanders.

It isn't until moments later I realize it's Owen lying on the ground and being tormented by Aidoneus, who I hardly recognize anymore, and his gang once again. Berating myself, I knew it was Owen, I just didn't want to believe it, I didn't want to have to get involved in any more fights.

The intercom crackles to life, stopping all students in their tracks as the screech of feedback echoes throughout the school, "This weekend is the last call for REP positions! So get collecting and good luck!"