Ch.18: Burn! Fight! Down goes the Princess and the Witch!

"Can all competitors surviving please report to the dueling boards." I stand in the hallway alone, the shock hasn't quite subdued. Smacking both hands onto my face, I have to suck it up, heading towards the field in a confident march.

There stands Mrs. ICE in the center, she looks to be directing a few things to and off the field. "Oh, My...BLEH! It's you." She says jumping back a bit as if she's seen a mouse scurry past her.

"Looks like it wasn't a fluke after all huh, now if you'll excuse me, I have a tournament to win." I glide past her arriving into my team's area, my confidence must've been somewhat invigorating as Mrs. Bubbles stands powerfully outside of our waiting area with her arms crossed and a sly smirk on her face, as if she's already assessing this tournament as a win for Class Nine.

Although we started with the most contenders, there aren't many remaining,

"My ohhh myyy! LyFyreeee. What a showww! I'll say. Won-der-ful." Preston claps slowly as he sits alone, one leg crossed over the other. "I would've never guessed...US two coming this far." He giggles, jumping up from his seat, circling me like a calculating animal.

"What do you want Preston?" I say sternly.

"Sheeeesh. I just wanna be your friend, yet I'm met with such hostility. Whyyy the hotty-head so quickly? My lips have been..." He slowly moves his hands across his lips, "zipped." He says softly.

There's so many rumors and secrets going around, some more deadlier than the others, I have no idea what he's talking about, but for the sake of my own sanity I am betting on it being a minor inconvenience. People like him have a way of digging graves with your words, I remain silent for the best, clenching my fists and teeth.

"I could help you study you know, you could use the help..."

I can't hold my tongue any longer, but I think this might've been a new record, "Whaddyu know?" My voice is low, but full of aggression..

"I meantttt in the classroom, you're a fierce fighter sureeee. But that won't get you very far, in fact, it'll get you killed faster-"

"What do YOU know about where I wanna get to?"

He swiftly moves in closer, wrapping his green scarf around his neck and mines, "I know where you went that day, mysterious head injury, yeah right you went into the Mecorpolis that day, the mourning process is an arduous lovey...But leaving the school grounds into the outer zone-X is suicidal for most! Oh, but the strength of a LyFyre, you're more than willing to break rules."

I quickly shoved his evil gaze from close to mine, "You don't know what you're talking about." I grunt, turning my back to him.

"With power like that you're sure to win this whole thing huh? Really set this whole competition ablaze." He whispers from behind me.

I hang my head low, facing away from Preston, "I already told y-"

"Then I guess I should inform you that you left the gate open! ...I have eyes everywhere LyFyre, so don't even think about lying." He interrupts me, raising his voice over mine, "Yeah, I went there." He adds.

I quickly twist at the waist to face him, shocked, my words failing me, but it's too late, he knows he's caught me.

"Hmmm, I guess that rang a bell huh?" Preston claps both his hands over his mouth, "I think I might have said too much..."

My sleight of hand hovers my wand, waiting the chance to blast him to bits on reaction, prepared for all hell to break loose; I hope Roy's nearby when things pop off. I was planning for the worst, but I have to play the hand I was dealt, even if it means taking his life here, before he can squeal on me to any member of the Derivative-M, especially my father.