Five

Chapter Five

"Hey, Y/N." Hank says, pulling you from your work. "I'm going down to Chicken Feed for lunch, you wanna come?"

"Ah, I packed a lunch today, but I'm always up for an adventure." You say smiling, picking up your now empty lunch bag.

"Hardly an adventure. And when did you become so responsible?"

"Eh, I had time this morning after you decided to sleep in." You say jokingly, standing up from your desk. You glance at Connor who was looking through the files on the computer and look back at Hank. You two have a silent argument for a moment as to if Connor should come or not, you ultimately winning.

"Hey, Connor, wanna go downtown?" You ask, and he raises his head to look at you.

"For what? I haven't had a report come in." He responds.

Hank laughs at what could've seemed to have been a refusal, though you insist.

"We're going to have lunch down there." You say trying to think of a reason. "Plus, it'll be easier to be all together if a report does come in. Oh! And, spending time together means becoming closer as a team." You say, hinting at what Connor had said earlier, about wanting to get to know each other as a team since the three of you would work together.

He smiles and swiftly stands up, nodding. "Yes, you make a good point."

You all pile into Hank's car; Hank driving, you in passenger, and Connor sitting in the back behind the driver's seat. On the drive over, Hank had his music playing and there was some small talk, though, mostly between you and Connor. By now, you and Connor had become acquainted and you thought of him as your friend. Between Hank and Connor, it was more complicated. You could tell Hank was starting to warm up to Connor, though you wish Hank would be less temperamental with him.

Hank parks up next to the food truck Chicken Feed and gets out of the car. He liked this place because he knew the people that worked and hung around there, despite their subpar hygiene standards. Hank walks up and he and the worker greet each other. As well, you heard Pedro call out. He was one of Hank's friends that he does illegal gambling with. You were never one for it but you never stopped those who participated. Connor follows you out of the car and you both walk up as you hear Hank placing a bet. After grabbing the money, Pedro faces you. "Hey, Y/N! You wanna throw one in this time?"

"I'm okay, again, thanks." You say back. Gambling never interested you.

You walk up next to Hank and Connor stands beside you two, gaining Hank's focus.

He sighs before he starts, "What is your problem? Don't you ever do as you're told? Look, you don't have to follow me around like a poodle!" Hank says, annoyed. In the car he had already told Connor that he didn't want him following him around anymore and to stay in the car in the small interaction they had, as if that would've worked.

Connor pauses for a moment before looking at Hank, "I'm sorry for my behavior back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant."

"Oh, wow.. You even have a brown-nosing apology program! The guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?" Hank laughs, not taking Connor seriously. Though, you did think that it was cute of Connor to apologize for making Hank react like he had.

The man at the counter gives Hank his burger, and as Hank and you walk away, the man calls out. "Don't leave that thing here!", pointing towards Connor.

"Heh, not a chance! It follows me everywhere." Hank calls back. You never understood why humans felt superior to the machines that made your civilization today what it was, but you also weren't going to get into it with Hank or his friend right now.