Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Connor's POV:

With what androids that remained, we all fled to an abandoned church for shelter. Markus seemed in over his head, though I couldn't blame him for being anxious about what was happening.

I decided to stand near one of the pillars of the church. It didn't feel right sitting with all the people whose lives I had endangered, all those lives that I had once been against. Guilt was an overwhelming emotion.

I notice Markus walking up, and I lower my head.

"It's my fault the humans managed to locate Jericho.." I say, mournful. "I was stupid.. I should've guessed they were using me." I had been so blinded by the kindness that Y/N, and eventually even Hank, had shown me to realize how badly the humans treated androids. I was too blind to see that they were only a part of a kind few.

I look up, and start walking towards Markus.

"I'm sorry Markus.." I say. "I can understand if you decide not to trust me.."

"You're one of us, now.." Markus says. "Your place is with your people."

Just as he was about to walk away, I decided to propose my plan that I had been working through in my head.

"There are thousands of androids at the CyberLife assembly plant. If we could wake them up, they might join us and shift the balance of power.." I say, aware of how dangerous and stupid the plan may be.

"You wanna infiltrate the CyberLife Tower?" Markus asks. "Connor, that's suicide.."

"They trust me," I say. "they'll let me in."

"If anyone has a chance of infiltrating CyberLife, it's me." I say, as a final selling point.

"If you go there, they will kill you." Markus says.

"There's a high probability.." I say. "but statistically speaking, there's always a chance for unlikely events to take place.."

I didn't want to die, though I knew this was my only chance of survival. My only chance of freedom to see Y/N and Hank again.

Markus stays silent, looking at me for a moment.

"Be careful.." He finally says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I nod, glad that he accepted my plan, though nervous and reluctant. My plan was all or nothing.

Markus heads up to a stage area.

"Humans have decided to exterminate us.." He says.

"Our people are being packed into camps right now, being destroyed..

"And the time has come to make a choice; one that very well may determine the future of our people."

Markus stays silent for a moment, and takes a deep breath.

"I know.. I know you're all angry. And I know you want to fight back.. But I assure you violence is not the answer here. We are going to tell them, peacefully, that we want justice. If there's any humanity in them, they will listen.

"And if not, others will take our place and continue this fight. Are you ready to follow me?" Markus asks, with determination.

All the androids in the church cheer for Markus, all filled with the determination that he was filled with as well.

His plan seemed all or nothing, like mine, and it gave me the determination I needed to fight for my people as hard as he was.

Y/N's POV:

"At 6AM this morning, a national curfew was declared. Civilian movement will be strictly controlled, the right to assembly is suspended, all electronic communications will be limited, and I have granted enhanced powers to our security agencies." Says President Warren in a live press conference.

You hadn't left the couch, watching and waiting for any new news that were to come on. Hank had his facade that he didn't care, though he always seemed to lurk in the living room whenever anything slightly involving androids was on.

"In addition to these measures, " President Warren continues, "all androids must be handed over to the authorities immediately."

This perks you up, and Hank enters the living room from the kitchen, standing in the doorway of the two rooms.

"Temporary camps are being set up in all our major cities to contain and destroy them." Your heart drops. All the innocent androids were being executed this second, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Even worse, Connor was in more danger than ever.

"I am now asking all civilians to cooperate with the authorities, and rest assured that everything in our power is being done to guarantee the security of our nation."

You scoff at the TV. Humans were only more selfish than ever, now.

"Madam President, public opinion seems to have become increasingly favorable to the deviants, particularly since they've adopted a peaceful approach. How do you feel about this?" One of the interviewers ask.

"I'd like to see her response to that one." Hank says, leaning into the doorframe.

"Public opinion is one thing, the security of the state is another." She says. "These deviants are dangerous and my highest priority is to protect the American people."

"The deviants are American people!" You yell at the TV.

Hank grumbles and walks back into the kitchen, leaving you in the living room only with the company of Sumo again.

You see the reporters' hands all go up as she finishes her statement, and watch as she picks another to answer their question.

"Many believe that androids are a new form of intelligent life. Do you have any comment?" The reporter asks.

"That's ridiculous." She says, and moves on from the question.

Fed up, you turn the TV off and lay down on the couch. You hadn't slept much the previous night and it was already late evening again, so you decided a nap would be good.

End of Chapter Fifteen

Word Count: 936