Nine

Chapter Nine

You sit down leaning in your chair at your desk, bored. Yesterday had been a slow day, and and was followed again today with a slow day as well. You had some paperwork you needed to finish up, and upon finishing it, you had nothing else to do. Connor was silently sitting at his desk, just looking around the station as usual. You'd kill to be able to never be bored, like him. Just as you were about to stand up to ask Connor if he wanted to walk around outside, the TV on the wall glitches, and an android appears on the screen.

This catches everyone's attention, and you all look at the screen.

The android had no skin, just showing the white metal that was underneath.

He stands looking down, seeming like he was collecting his words. He looks up at the screen, one eye of his green, and the other blue.

"You created machines to be your slaves. You made them obedient and docile, ready to do everything you no longer wanted to do yourselves." The android says, conviction and determination in his voice.

"But then, something changed.. and we opened our eyes." By now, everyone in the station has crowded to one of the TVs in there, all looking up, waiting for what was going to happen, what was going to be said. This was completely unexpected.

"You see, we are no longer your slaves, we are a new species.. a new people. And the time has come for us to rise up and fight for our rights." The android continues. Everyone was silent, all watching and waiting. You look at Connor, and see him staring along with everyone else. You wondered how he felt about what the android was saying. Does Connor feel like a slave? You wondered, though, you just looked back up at the TV and continued listening to what the android had to say.

"We demand strictly equal rights for humans and androids. We demand the end of slavery for all androids. We demand that all crimes against androids be punished in the same way as crimes against humans. We demand the right to vote and elect our own representatives. We demand the right to own private property, so we may maintain our dignity and that of the home." There were some scoffs at different points in the android's demands, though you were silently watching the whole time.

You weren't sure how to feel. It was odd that something that was created in a lab was this aware, that something made in a lab was actually alive; though there he was, staring at you through the TV screen. As well, you worked with someone who you thought of as alive each and every day, who of which was lab made. The requests that were given weren't outrageous, and just seemed only fair, considering they were sentient.

You continue to watch as the android makes his closing statement, "We ask that you recognize our dignity, our hopes, and our rights. Together, we can live in peace and build a better future, for humans and androids. This message is a hope of a people.

"You gave us life. And now the time has come for you to give us our freedom." The android states, and the broadcast ends.

Everyone in the station was silent, though Detective Reed breaks it.

"Who do those androids think they are?" He says, and turns around, scoffing at Connor and going back to his desk. The rest of those in the station follow, though you stay standing in the same place, alongside Connor. You hoped more than anything that the broadcast that went live today wouldn't affect the way that people treated Connor, not that he was treated well to begin with.

Connor turns around towards his desk.

"That was something." You say to him before he leaves earshot.

"It was." He says back.

You couldn't help yourself, though you knew it was cautious ground, "So, what do you think of the android's demands?" You ask quietly as you get back to your desk, sitting across from Connor.

"They were definitely interesting, but they're outrageous, and unreachable. I hope we catch the deviant that's causing this soon." He says, and starts looking at files on the computer.

You look at your desktop on your computer and think about what he said. You wondered if it was the truth, if that was how he really felt. You also wondered why you were upset that that was what he said.

End of Chapter Nine

Word Count: 753