Six

Chapter Six

You join Hank and Connor in the elevator, hesitant. You were never fond of elevators, though you didn't want to take the stairs and delay the other two. Connor sensed your worry. "Your heart rate is up, is something bothering you?" He asks, as you shift at the movement of the elevator rising.

"I'm fine, I just don't like elevators." You respond, trying to calm yourself.

"I would've thought you'd grown out of that by now." Hank says. You've lived with him since you were a child, so he already knew of your fear all too well.

"People rarely lose phobias through age." Connor says on your behalf, and turns to you. "I looked at the parts of this elevator and sense no issues with it. Chances of failure are close to 0."

It was cute how he was trying to make you feel better, so you smile at him and nod, your nervousness fading a bit.

Once you got to the floor of the apartment you were the first out of the elevator, not wanting to spend anymore time in it when you could be on steady, non moving ground. Hank follows, though Connor stays, his eyes closed and LED yellow.

"Hey Connor!" Hank calls out. "You run outta batteries or what?"

Connor opens his eyes and his LED returns blue before responding, "I'm sorry, I was making a report to CyberLife."

"Huh.." Hank says back. After Connor still doesn't move out of the elevator, Hank teases. "Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?"

"No! I'm coming." Connor says back, and quickly exits the elevator. You smile at their interaction. It really did seem like Hank was warming up to Connor.

After Connor walks toward you and Hank, Hank starts, "What do we know about this guy?"

"Not much." Connor starts, "Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding an LED under his cap."

"Oh Christ, if we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops." Hank says, leaning on the doorframe. Connor stands at the door and knocks. When silence was met with the knock, Connor knocks again louder.

"Anybody home?" He yells. When silence was met again, he continues. "Open up! Detroit Police!"

This was met with a loud bang on the inside of the apartment, sounding like something falling. Connor and you look to Hank. "You two, stay behind me." Hank says, going towards the front of the door. You go to stand behind Hank, though Connor cuts in front of you.

"Got it." He says, and Hank draws his gun and kicks the door down.

After Hank walks in and scans the area, you and Connor follow behind and scan as well. You've pulled your gun out, though you didn't want to have to use it unless you really needed to.

The area was dirty and strange things were scribbled across the walls. The three of you check all the rooms in the small apartment, though it was evident that it was now empty. After going to the end of the hallway, Hank kicks down the closed door, only to be hit with many pigeons. You jump back behind Connor, as he stands unphased, and cover your face with your arms. "Damn!" You yell, sharing Hank's vocabulary. Connor glances at you as you walk forward again.

"What the fuck is this!?" Hank exclaims, surprised as well. He kicks at the birds as they fly away. "Jesus, this place sticks.." You nod in agreement, it was dense with the smell of pigeon droppings, and obviously wasn't well ventilated.