Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

After going back to the station, you heard word that all androids being taken to camps to be deactivated if the owner felt unsafe with them around. Your stomach turned as you thought of how eventually all the androids that have been manufactured were doomed, Connor included. If the public continued to fear the androids, and the humans won this 'war,' Connor's fate was sealed. Every android's fate was sealed.

Every innocent android, whether them having woken up yet or not, were to be sent to their deaths unfairly. You sit at your desk thinking about the predicament, ignoring any work and paperwork you had to do. Hank and Connor noticed how antsy you were, though they didn't make any comment to you.

.

"Incoming news.." the TV chimes.

"There are reports coming in now of a protest happening downtown Detroit, hundreds of androids are marching in the streets, chanting obscure slogans." You bring all of your attention to the TV now, and you notice more cops hurrying out of the station, some heavily armed.

"There seems to be police intervention, though we're unsure how we'll be able to disband this protest of androids. If this continues, could this mean the end of humanity as we know it?" The broadcast continues.

You scoff at the fear mongering that they've been putting out. It's obvious that the androids weren't going to attack, the only attacks that have taken place was because of humanity's hostility to something that they haven't accepted to be true.

You tune the TV out as more coverage comes on about what was happening in the streets of downtown Detroit.

"Hank, L/N. My office." Captain Fowler says, putting his hand up signaling for you and Hank to come in.

You stand, Hank and Connor follow. Hank's the first to enter the office, you follow, and then Connor, who shuts the door behind him.

"I've called you in to let you know that.." He sighs. "You're both off the case. The FBI is taking over."

"What?" Hank says in frustration and disbelief. You were as shocked and as frustrated as he was. You were off the case? Does that mean Connor was too?

"But we're onto something!" Hank says. "We.. We just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Hank.." Fowler says, cutting Hank off.

"No, he's completely right!" You say. You've come too far for it to end like this. "Give us more time, we'll figure it out!"

Fowler sighs, putting his hands up. "You don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war!.. It's out of our hands now.."

Hank glares at him, though you were more panicked than anything.

"We're talking about national security, here." Fowler continues.

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!" Hank yells.

"You're always saying you can't stand androids!" Fowler says in response. "Jesus, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"

"We're about to crack the case!.." Hank says, leaning into Fowler's desk. "I know we can solve it!"

"For God's sake, Jeffrey, can't you back me up this one time?" Hank says, almost with a defeated tone in his voice.

Fowler stays quiet for a moment.

"There's nothing I can do." Fowler says, solemnly. "You're both back on homicide, and the android returns to CyberLife.."

"Bullshit!" You yell. "Connor has been so helpful in these cases, why would we send him back? Just because he couldn't solve one impossible case!?" You were now showing your anger for this situation.