chapter two

all about the ocean

Loud pounding against the door appeared to be a nuisance to Buck grumbling down the steps of his staircase. He slept soundly for the last week until awakened by the horrific sound. No guess of who could be behind the ruckus. It would possibly be Maddie who has failed in her attempts to encourage to go out for some fresh air. All Buck wanted to do was sulk in the comfort of his apartment.

Without the 118 his life seemed isolated. Sure enough, Buck has lived several lives in different places, yet Los Angeles became his home. The job of being a firefighter answered the purpose of his life.

Now, that spark blew out after the news from Bobby and the LAFD.

He slammed the door open about to yell at his sister until he was spooked by someone else.

"Buck!"

Diego exclaimed with the biggest smile, standing in front of his aunt.

Forcing out a grin, Buck crouched slightly to the four-year-old. "Hey, Diego....what are you doing here?" He shot a look at Josephine.

She ignored him and pushed through the door to his reluctance. Diego ran inside to the messy apartment where visible takeout boxes scattered on the counter and clothes lying around.

"Josie," Buck called out sternly, trailing after the brunette pushing the stroller.

"We are going to Long Beach to the Aquarium of the Pacific. And since you're free obviously, Diego agreed to invite you." Josephine enthused, giving him no reason to back out on this babysitting venture.

Despite using her sister's children as pawns, she indeed needed some help between a hyperactive four-year-old who's current obsession are sharks and an eleven-month-old baby.

"There's going to be sharks and jellyfishes, Buck!" Diego practically pounced at the man, overly excited for his trip to the aquarium.

Buck was stuck. He couldn't disappoint the young boy by rejecting the invite nor be that person to make Josephine's nephew cry. The boy adored him. Besides, the woman would probably beat him for the sake of her nephew.

Before he could utter a word, she darted at him. "Plus, you kind of owe me for the times I've went to your rehab sessions." She nonchalantly shrugged.

Rather than spending a regular day watching the cooking channel and ordering takeout without moving too far. Buck is being dragged around by a four old at an aquarium this afternoon. While Josephine followed pushing the stroller with an amused look at the duo.

They visited many of the exhibits. Diego squealed being allowed to touch the harmless sharks at the display catered for children. Josephine carried Sofia in her arms to show the adorable sea otters and penguins swimming around.