chapter seven

acting foolish

three months ago

"Ames! Another round for your favorite customer please!"

Josephine waved over to the blond barista drunkenly. She couldn't recount the number of drinks she consumed although it was her aim to forget the events that led her to the infamous bar. With the new year that defines a clean slate, it seemed the past couldn't escape Josephine. Instead of basking those feelings alone in her penthouse, being surrounded by intoxicated people and loud music appeared to be the better option.

Amy peered over the brunette's shoulder before giving her a sad smile. "Sorry, girl. I think your ride is here." She nodded her head, returning her phone on the counter.

Furrowing at the woman in confusion, Josephine looked behind discovering Buck approaching the bar to her dismay. She whipped her head back, feeling betrayed. "Really, Ames?" The last person she wanted to see on this night was him, yet the universe had other plans.

"Don't shoot the messenger, I called Eddie." Amy shrugged, pivoting to tend to other customers.

Josephine fixated straight ahead while internally groaning to herself by the time Buck anxiously stepped next to her. The two spoke very little on shift, everyone in the firehouse clearly saw and felt the awkward tension these last few months. Buck attempted on several occasions along with the shove of encouragement by their colleagues to make amends, but she wouldn't give him the time of day. Somehow, she manages to dodge him during those 24 hour shifts.

When Amy called Eddie that Josephine might need a friend to drive her home, he thought that would be the perfect opportunity for Buck and Josephine to talk. Unlike Hen and Chimney who produced an idea to simply lock the two in a room.

With Eddie's words of wisdom, Buck went ahead to go to the bar. He hoped that this would indicate the start of mending his relationship with Josephine despite her drunken state.

"Hey, uh Eddie couldn't make it. So, he called me." He greeted in an uneasy tone, scratching the back of his neck.

A stiff laugh slipped from her lips, "Must make me the luckiest girl in the world. I'm not leaving with you." She said, sipping her drink.

"Josie, come on."

She ignored his pleads instead motioned for the barista. "Ames, another round." She demanded, sliding an extra tip.

"Make that two." Buck voiced to her surprise as he took the vacant stool next to her. After all the trial and error, he wasn't going to keep walking eggshells around Josephine. He missed her and their friendship.

Dread was the word Josephine could describe sitting next to Buck. She was unable to enjoy her drink due to his endless stolen glances at her. They sat in silence while everyone else around them were either too drunk or having the time of their lives marveling in a conversation.