chapter three

a conversation with an old friend

Alone at top of a hill underneath the shade of a big tree, Josephine took another pity swig of her half-empty beer bottle. Her gaze focused on the view of the city that has changed over time since growing up. She continued to bask in the memories and thoughts disregarding the pattering sound of footsteps approaching from behind. The person went ahead to join the brunette and pop himself bottle from the pack sitting behind the woman.

Sat in silence together, Josephine finally took a sharp inhale and spoke up. "Nice to know that you found it. Thought you got lost which wouldn't be surprising since you always do." She humored slightly.

"I didn't get lost.... okay I did but I only missed a turn this time."

Josephine couldn't help but laugh, shaking her head. She peered over at them, tugging a small smile. "Well, what matters is that you're here after getting my text. Thanks for coming."

A warm grin spread upon Bryan's mouth, nodding shortly. "It's no problem. I'm always here for you, Josie." 

one week earlier

Josephine stood at the kitchen of the firehouse with one hand planted on the countertop to lean on while downing the last of her coffee. After last night's events, she could only hope a cup of coffee or two would boost up the energy in preparation for this 24-hour shift. She cleaned the mug once finishing before descending the staircase to meet Hen emerging on the first floor.

"You look like hell." Hen took one glimpse at the brunette at the bottom of the staircase. Her eyes traveled to the green wristband, "Now that makes sense, you went clubbing last night?"

The brunette snorted, glancing down at her wrist. "Uh, yeah. My friends dragged me to this new club. They had a connection, so we got easy access and the V.I.P. treatment. Have to say the place is nice and a lot of fun."

"Sounds like a fun night." Hen mused before steering the conversation to a topic she's been meaning to ask. "Anyways, I wanted to talk to you about your childhood. You grew up with a sibling, your sister Vanessa. Did you like it?"

"Well, I didn't have a choice." Josephine teased. "I can tell you that I wouldn't trade Vanessa for any other person in the world. Like any other siblings, we had our love and hate moments. After our dad died, she was my rock and vice versa when our mom wasn't as present. When she fell into her own life, it sucked." She reminisced, exhaling deeply, and folding her arms. "I never held a grudge against her because at the end of the day she is my sister. We'll always have love for each other."