chapter twenty six

smokescreen

Fire extinguishers fogged the half of the bridal suite to prevent any fires. Bobby crouched onto the floor at the culprit. The power cord extension merely smoked out. "Circuit must've overloaded from all these power cords. Chim, how's our bride doing?" He flickered his eyes onto the paramedic.

"Just a second." Chimney said as he and Hen guided the bride to sit up.

The bride coughed, gaining consciousness. She surveyed the crowded suite. "What-what happened?"

"You experienced an electrical shock and passed out." Hen answered, laying a comforting hand upon the bride's shoulder.

Bobby cast his eyes down on a burnt polygraph machine. "Is this a polygraph machine?" He questioned.

"Um, yeah. Is it, is t still working?"

"Maybe if you're looking to grill something."

Buck interjected, "I thought you were getting ready for a wedding." He inquired about the question that plagued everyone's mind in relation to the machine.

Eddie snuck glances at the ceiling. "Is this some kind of reality show?"

"And I thought Helena was worse." Josephine mumbled next to him.

"Got a nasty exit wound on the sole of her foot from the electricity. She probably absorbed at least, watts." Chimney examined the bride's sandal worn on her foot.

The mother of the bride, who clearly had a few glasses, intervened. "Bethany's just a little nervous about her big day, wanting everything to be just right." She told the firefighters. Her daughter shot her a glare.

However, one of the bridesmaids disagreed. "She thinks one of us is a saboteur, mocking her online, anonymously."

"One of you is." Bethany pointed. "And I am gonna find out who "Trapped-By-Bridezilla100%" is before I walk down the aisle." She exclaimed with fueling determination searching for the traitor.

"The only place you should be walking is into an ER. There's no telling what that current did to you internally. So, we're gonna need to take you to the hospital for an ECG." Hen informed Bethany.

A dry laugh uttered from Bethany, "Unacceptable." She said, beginning to rise to her feet despite everyone's protests. "I'm getting married in less than two hours. How's my makeup?" She looked at one of her bridesmaids who held an uneasy look.

"Uh, well, I think they can probably fix that." Bobby picked up a mirror, raising it for the bride to see her reflection.

Bethany was startled though brushed it off. "Right. Right, 'cause we can just paint a new eyebrow on, right?"

"Yeah, I-I mean, I-I saw this makeup thing online, and this woman made her face look like a skull." Buck shared, garnering glares. "It was cool." He shrugged.