chapter twenty five

the lost treasure

Sirens belonged to the 118 firehouse whose vehicles pulled up at the site at Malibu Creek Park meeting the search and rescue. They were dispatched to the area after a father and daughter called in and apprehended a bottle with a message from a man supposedly trapped on a cliff. The members jumped out of their vehicles and stared out to the large acres of land.

"Are they sure someone's up there? That bottle could have been floating around for months." Buck questioned in a curious tone.

Hen interjected, "Which would mean our search and rescue might become a search and recovery."

"Not was written on a receipt. Rangers checked the date. It was five days ago." Bobby entailed the team.

Josephine blew through her lips, "Sure, hope it wasn't their last meal."

"We see you, Captain Nash. We're coming in now." The search and rescue flying in the helicopter radioed in.

"Copy that." Bobby responded. He pivoted to his team, instructing orders. "Okay, Chimney, Eddie, gear up. You're going with them."

Both men nodded off, Chimney turned to Eddie. "Copy that. You'll harness up, we'll lower you down so you can grab him." He advised.

As the two ran to suit up for the helicopter ride, Josephine glanced up at a pouty Buck envious of the duo taking part in the rescue. "Cheer up. You can go next time." She smirked, patting his cheek. He rolled his eyes behind his sunglasses at the teasing gesture.

The rescue went swift for the first responders. Josephine and the rest of the team approached the landing helicopter with a stretcher to transport the civilian. Chimney threw the door open seeing them. He and Eddie began passing the man into the care of his team.

"Careful! He's kind of delirious. Been out there awhile." He shouted.

The man winced in pain once landing on his back on the stretcher.

"Said he injured himself three days ago." Eddie added.

"I'm fine. I just want to know when I can get back up there."

Hen shook her head unconvinced by the civilian man's statement. "Definitely not today."

"You have a cell phone?" Bobby waved out the phone from reaching into the civilian's pocket.

He stared at the Fire Captain confusedly, "Doesn't everyone?" He spoke in a blunt tone.

Josephine raised her brow, "Yes. But most people use it to call for help instead of putting a message in a bottle." She scolded.

"Battery died yesterday."

"That was two days after you injured yourself." Bobby stated.

"I didn't want to leave. I was so close. I didn't want anyone else to find the treasure. It's mine! The treasure's mine! Don't tell anyone! Don't let anyone take it. It's mine! The treasure's mine!" The team shared bewildered glances at each other when the civilian man gone a bit berserk. Hen, Eddie, and Chimney started rolling the man away to the back of the ambulance while Josephine, Buck, and Bobby remained.