chapter twenty two

life or death 

life or death 

In the evening, Buck was stationed at the counter in Josephine's kitchen cooking dinner. Amid placing the last touches of seasoning on the salmon, he stole a glance at Josephine sitting across and nursing a beer. He tugged a tiny grin and reverted to the pan before storing it inside the oven. While prepping the salad, they continued to share glances.

Josephine had a smirk play upon her lips with her eyes practically ogling him. She went for another swig of her drink.

"You're free to take a picture of me anytime, Santiago."

"I'm the type of person who likes to be present and bask in the moment." Josephine cheekily replied to causing Buck to suppress a chuckle. "But I can say I've been enjoying this view."

Buck finished the salad then took his beer for a sip. He exhaled then leaned forward on the counter. "I could say that I agree too." The two clinked their bottles together laughing.

A rapid sound of knocking on the door earned the couple's attention. Sharing a perplexed look as neither expected visitors, Josephine slid out of the stool to answer the door. Buck had trailed behind her to discover Albert on the other side.

"Albert?"

"Hey guys, I'm not interrupting, am I?" He sheepishly greeted the couple.

Josephine graced an inviting smile, "No, do you want to join us for dinner? Buck put the salmon in the oven."

His eyes lit up, "Sure." Josephine pulled the door open for Albert to enter further in her place.

Buck interjected, "Not to be rude but I thought you had a date with Veronica?" The woman mentioned is a tenant in their apartment complex where Albert crossed paths then hit it off immediately with her.

Albert grimaced, "I had to cancel on her. Chimney called me to drive him and Maddie to the hospital because they thought the baby was coming."

"But it was a false alarm." Josephine assumed to which Albert confirmed by nodding shortly.

"So, since my plans fell through...I was hoping the invite was still open to watch the newest episode of our favorite reality dating show." He and Josephine have shared their obsession with the most popular reality tv show that has captivated the world.

She laughed, "You're always welcomed, Albert. Plus, it would be nice to have someone where I don't need to explain the drama." She narrowed at Buck.

He surrendered, appearing offended by his girlfriend. "There's all these love triangles or squares happening. I can't keep up."

"Hey, anybody got baby names. Not your names."