chapter thirteen

a chaotic mess

Buck slammed the door to his Jeep after snatching up his duffel bag. His feet shuffled towards the firehouse and into the locker room to get ready for shift. He nodded silently and waved to those in passing as he made it to his locker. Once he opened it, his mind indulged into the recent that plagued his mind for the past few days.

"I'm falling in love with you, Josie."

"Buck," Josephine could only utter out his name as her mind scattered to process his words.

They stared into each other's eyes deeply until in one swift motion Buck smashed his lips against Josephine's passionately.

Josephine exhaled a shaky breath when pulling apart. She blinked at him with tears filling in her eyes. "We can't."

"There's nothing in our way to stop us from being together." Buck assured, cupping her face with his hands. "I'm not sure when but there's always been a feeling that I've only felt with you. Whether it had been watching movies to keep us distracted through those rough patches, you accidentally telling how you felt about me, that dispatch call with that married couple, or seeing you walk down in your wedding dress at the bridal shop."

He grazed his thumbs upon her cheeks, "We're here because we always find our way back to each other. You and me. One thing that Red has taught me is to take that chance at happiness."

As his heart clenched for her response, he wasn't entirely prepared for the next words that came out of her mouth.

"I can't, Buck. I'm sorry but I can't. You should leave."

A voice pulled out of his trance.

"Buck!"

His body jolted before his eyes flickered to Eddie standing beside him with a confused expression.

"Are you okay, man? I've been calling your name for a minute." Eddie studied his best friend's face.

Buck was about to answer when he looked past the brunette's right shoulder to see Josephine had entered the room. She had already exchanged into her uniform as she threw in her clothes into her designated locker before stalking out to greet Hen and Chimney outside.

"I'm good. Didn't get enough sleep last night." Buck excused, returning his gaze to Eddie who seemed unconvinced.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"I've been kidnapped!"