chapter twenty four

space in between

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"I'm at Fields Market on Third and La Brea. There's a woman in the parking lot. She's been hit by a car. It's real bad."

Sirens blared into the parking lot of Fields Market minutes after the phone call. Worried civilians gathered at the scene urging to understand what had occurred. The 118 ladder truck parked and Josephine along with Buck and Eddie burst through the vehicle's doors approaching the scene. Bobby met the security guard who made the call to get the gist of the situation they'd encountered that evening.

"The car was parked over by the dumpster. He hit the gas then he hit her. It looked pretty bad." The female security guard described, strolling to the victim.

Bobby questioned, "He just took off?"

"Didn't even slow down."

Hen and Chimney were already at the woman's side while the sobbing husband kneeled by his unconscious wife. Bobby reached for him, gently guiding him back. "Sir, sir I want you to step back. Let my team have a look."

The husband complied with his orders for the two paramedics to begin working.

"The airways cleared but breathing's labored."

"Definitely a broken femur here." Chimney reported to his partner. His eyebrows furrowed, blinking for a moment. "I know her." He recognized the familiar face.

Hen stared at him confused. "What?"

"It's Sue Belvins." Buck stated.

"From the call center." Bobby added, affirming as he gained a closer look of the woman.

Chimney sighed, "Yeah, Maddie's boss."

"Head injury is pretty severe. Pupils are uneven. Possible subdural hematoma." Hen gathered, continuing to do procedural checks. "We need oxygen over here!" She called out.

Eddie came by her side to give oxygen while Josephine and Buck had wheeled out the stretcher.

"We can run an IV en route. Sue, can you hear me?" Hen called out to Sue.

"Most likely a broken rib, maybe two. Probable punctured lung, as well." Chimney declared.

"Let's get her on the board!"

Eddie began counting down as the rest of the team came to their aid.

"One, two, three."

When Sue was lying onto the stretcher and was being transported to the back of the ambulance. The team heard her muffling some words through the pain.

"What's she saying?"

"Uh, 9-1-1." Buck made out with a tone of uncertainty.

Josephine and Buck had stepped back once Sue was stabled in the ambulance with Hen and Chimney. They watched the vehicle leave the parking lot when the security guard stood next to them.