chapter ten

precious time

Diego Santiago stepped inside the playroom where his two daughters occupied. He had been ordered by his wife to grab the girls to greet the new neighbors next door. It took only a second for his three-year-old to notice him. She practically dropped everything on the ground to charge into her father's arms. One of the most fulfilling moments for Diego will always be embracing his girls. Clearly, Josephine was more of a daddy's girl than Vanessa.

"Good morning to you, mija." He shifted Josephine on his hip, brushing her messy hair back to smothering her with kisses. "Where's my other princesa?"

Vanessa carried the barbie in her hand when she crashed into Diego's legs. "I'm right here, silly. Are we going to see the new neighbors today?" She inquired, staring up with her brown orbs.

The house next door had been taken off the sales market after bought in short time. Within a week, moving trucks have arrived and transporting the new family's belongings inside. Diego and Isabel thought to introduce themselves on the weekend to let them settle in the neighborhood. Meanwhile, their daughters hoped they will gain a new playmate preferably a girl declared by Vanessa.

"Yes, we are. Mommy asked me to bring you two downstairs, so we can go over there to introduce ourselves."

Diego took his eldest's hand as they exited the room and descend the staircase to find Isabel topping the dish container. When she lifted her gaze, her smile faltered. "Oh, Josephine. We have to fix your hair." She rushed up to her husband and steal their daughter from him.

"Do we have to fix mine too, mommy?"

Isabel seated Josephine on the stool and settled with pulling her hair into pigtails. "Your hair is fine, Vanessa. It's just your sister always has the tendency to let her hair get messy." She tugged the pigtail before pressing a sweet kiss onto her daughter's temple.

"I like my hair messy." Josephine pouted in her mother's arms.

"We know you do and you're beautiful regardless, my love. We just have to look a little presentable when we meet new people." Isabel fixed her shirt then set her down on her feet to grab the dish.

Josephine run to her father to grab his hand. He crouched in front of her to whisper. "I love your hair messy too, mija." He gave a cheeky wink causing small giggles to erupt.

The Santiago family walked outside to seek the new neighbors at the front of their house. There was a couple and a young boy who appeared to be around Josephine's age. He tugged his mother's hand and pointed out the incoming family approaching them.

"Good morning! I'm Isabel, this is my husband Diego and our daughters Vanessa and Josephine. We thought to welcome you into the neighborhood considering we're the house next door." Isabel greeted with a bright smile as she and her family came to a halt in front of the family. "As well to come with baked goods."