chapter twelve

the lost ones

"Whoo! And that was something huh?" Buck threw his shirt into the locker on a high from the latest dispatch call involving a fiery apartment building and performing a rope rescue off the rope to save a deaf woman trapped inside. "A fire that big, and no fatalities. We have to celebrate. We should hit up that bar on Pico, you know, the one with the loaded fries. First round's on me." He told the team eagerly.

Eddie slammed his locker door shut, "Wish I could, man. Christopher's hosting his first sleepover tonight." He stopped at the door then spun around. "Hey, you're more than welcome to come and celebrate with a bunch of nine-year-olds."

"Hah, the rest of us will toast your absence."

Hen perked up after tying her shoe. "You're gonna have to toast mine, too. Tonight's date night with Karen." She looped her bag into her arm, rising from the bench.

"She can come."

"I don't think that's her idea of a date but have fun." Hen said, stalking out of the locker room.

Abruptly, Bobby chimed in with an apologetic look. "Yeah, and I'm sorry, Buck, but, uh, Athena and I have a date night tonight, too, so you guys have a good time. Good job." He bid his goodbye on the way out right after.

"Yeah, sure." Buck replied in a less enthusiastic tone. "See you Cap."

Another locker door closed shut by Chimney who appeared to spare his apologies as well. "No offense, but you are not the Buckley I was looking forward to spending my night with." He truthfully told with a sheepish grin.

"Go wine and dine my sister. Josie and I will be fine."

Buck maneuvered his gaze to Josephine on the other side of the room snatching her belongings. "About that..." She trailed off, pursing her lips together. "I already have plans with Alexis drinking out tonight. You can join us if you like. I doubt Alexis will mind."

"No, I don't want to intrude."

Josephine's face faltered. "Buck," She softly called.

He waved her off, "I'll be fine, Josie. Go have fun with your best friend." He at least hoped that Josephine wouldn't leave him hanging unlike the others.

"You're my best friend too, you know." Josephine smirked when she noticed Buck tug a tiny grin. "Now, there's that smile I love. If you change your mind, call me. Unless you find yourself lucky to meet a girl tonight, you never know." She patted his arm then paved her exit out of the locker room.

Buck had watched the brunette leave over his shoulder. His eyes lingered until she was out of sight then reverting to his locker. He deeply sighed, "Okay, Buckley, guess we'll celebrate alone." He shut his locker.